What would you prefer to call your teachers by? (1 Viewer)

What do you prefer to call your teacher by?

• Total voters

QAFluva

HSC
In most government schools, it is compulsory to call your teacher by their last name (eg Mr Surname). However in some government, public and almost all private schools, students call teachers by their first name. What do do you prefer? Do you think calling a teacher by their first name is disrespectful?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Im private school and we dont normally call them by first name unless they dont care, most do care though. Mainly we call them by the last name without the Mr or Mrs or Miss or a shortened version of their last name, some have nicknames

dangerousdave

HSC
I dont think its disrepectful to call a teacher by their first name, though its not very common.

I'm just used to calling my teachers sir/miss, some of my teachers have very long last names and I couldnt be bothered to try and pronounce them all the time.

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
Sir/Miss that way I won't end up calling them some one elses name.... again....

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
now that school is over one of my teacher tells me i can call him by his name lol
to me it sounds weird. but usually i'd call them sir and stuff

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
last name just seems a bit more polite. also they have more authority over the students, so students may actually be quiet

kylie_robbo

My teachers:

Grady (PDHPE)
Swanny or Wannys (Soc & Cult)
Veerhuis (Maths)
Mrs Williams (Eng)
Irves, Irvine, Swirvin' Irvin', Swirvine, Hey you, Karen... one guy took it so far as "hey gorgeous" (but only in my presence, and then he denied the fact that he was talking to Swirvine) (Music)

mishka

HSC
N/A
people at my school make up names for teachers, but i think it's disrespectful. i prefer to address them as "sir" and "miss" but when i'm talking about them i'll call them "Mr/s Surname"

i think teachers lose a bit of the respect when they allow students to call them by nicknames and their first names.

kylie_robbo

I think sir and miss is disrespectful... you can't even be bothered to tell them what their name is... instead it is just uniform and the same with all your teachers...

Atleast with nicknames they are original and personal...

mishka

HSC
N/A
but you're not there to make friends with them, you're there to learn from them. don't you think the least they deserve is a bit of respect?

at least with sir and miss you are acknowledging their status.

santaslayer

HSC
I like using their last names....

without the Mr or Mrs in front of course....

eg...yo O'brien....!! :p

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
we used to call most of our teachers miss/sir but a lot of teachers also had nicknames which were mainly derived from their surnames like swanny or coops. most of them would only allow seniors to use these tho. i just think it allows the students to relate to the teachers better and feel mosr comfortable in talking to them should they need to

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I think at school, calling someone Mr/Mrs xxx is a sign of respect. I don't think students should be able to call teachers by their first name until uni, when we are adults in our own right.

Bobcat

HSC
Sir/Miss is easier to say fast repedirtevly. So if u wanna get a teachers attention its easier to go 'Sir Sir Sir Sir Sir Sir Sir Sir' than 'MR soandsoandso MR soandsoandso MR soandsoandso MR soandsoandso MR soandsoandso'

kylie_robbo

tammer said:
we used to call most of our teachers miss/sir but a lot of teachers also had nicknames which were mainly derived from their surnames like swanny or coops. most of them would only allow seniors to use these tho. i just think it allows the students to relate to the teachers better and feel mosr comfortable in talking to them should they need to
Yeah... most of the nicknames we have for our teachers are from their last names... and in theory, only seniors are allowed to use them...

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
call them "mrs .. whoever" "Mr .. " ... on excursions allowed to call them by 1st names,
sometimes i dont say their names at all .. just put my hand up and go "hey ....."

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
mishka said:
but you're not there to make friends with them, you're there to learn from them. don't you think the least they deserve is a bit of respect?

at least with sir and miss you are acknowledging their status.

i think sir is respectable, but miss isnt. why dont you call guy teachers mr? you just dont it would be wrong

astro

HSC
i just call them sir or miss...then again i sometimes get them mixed up and that gets a little embarassing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)