What You All Get? (1 Viewer)

activist

11% of the state got 90 in ecos, 4% in phys and chem... UAI scaling is based on rank.

activist

I probably should elaborate. If a person came in the top 1% in all three sciences ceteris parabus, and similarly a person came in the top 1% in three humanities (mod his, eco's, ext history) i'm sure you will find using the laz seeker that the UAI are very close.

utopian731

Eudaimonian
listen, "activist", all i was offering was an opinion, just as you are, a little more poignantly than me.

all i was saying, really, is that hsc is not the best indicator and just offering views on what true "smartness" is (you really can't define it, thats the point). When i was speaking about sciences, i was only talking about high school sciences. I consider some of the greatest minds ever to be Newton, Einstein, Galileo (oh yeh, einstein was in the bottom 40% of his senior year, funny, eh)

im glad there are people out there with no fear in letting their emotions rip in forums, so good on you for that

now, why im a bit vexed

Don't make assumptions about people you don't know. But as you have, im forced to retaliate (sorry everyone else):
I, myself, do 4 unit maths and chemistry. Im ranked 2 in 4 unit, 2 in 3unit and worked out i got ~100/120 in the 4 unit paper; i too do chem and enjoy slaughtering the grade. The other half of my units happen to be humanities, so i think have first hand experience on the sciences v humanities issue, dont you?
And if you really care that much, my place in the year (2nd) with reference to my schools performance in recent years and lazseeker gives me a UAI of 99.8-100.00.

Still rekon im just whinging cos im going shit
funny

i hate blowing my own trumpet like that, but you forced me to

but then again, I never once made reference to myself, so why go and make it personal

like sand through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives
*sighs*

activist

I was referring to you as going shit, if you look carefully I am offering perhaps the reason for your whinging (note the question mark). Anyhow I'm glad you blew your own trumpet, and being the restrained individual that I am will not blow mine. However whilst you may not be the stereotype of the very people who piss me off that I once thought you were, you still stated how doing well in high school maths and sciences weren't a measure of intelligence. Without going into a long argument why they are, I'm just going to have to leave it as that. Least you're not the dickhead I thought you were.

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Im glad of that then

Look, my opinions are not the complete antithesis of yours, obviously the people who get the UAIs are almost always going to be very intelligent. Its just that this only part of the big picture of "smartness" and you know what? I dont consider myself to be all that close at all to the "big picture". Blah.

just plz dont make further assumptions about me or others, cos i had to make yself look like a dickhead to respond. dont worry, im sure you'll get a better UAI than me (no sarcasm intended)....yada

ill shut up now

Ozz^E

hmmm..i think the UAI is somewhat an indication od a person's intellect. Not wholly though. Like if u can get high 99z then i doubt anyone can question your academic ability. Conversely though, sometimes we have able students NOT getting how mcuh they should, maybe lack of motivation, not enuff effort etc.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Maybe we need more than one "UAI" for uni's/TAFE/employers to look at, one for humnities, one for science/maths and one for creative arts.

What do you think?

Dumbarse

i reckon they should count skool certificate or even take into account how u went from year 7 onwards.

what did you all get for skool certificate in maths ppl like spicegirl, bjack??

Ozz^E

the new SC maths is petty much a joke...need to be harder so it sets a better foundation for yr 11,12 maths.

spice girl

magic mirror
well the test was a joke.

I do shit in easy papers, and well in hard papers.

So 99 is pretty much what I expected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)