What you hate about UNSW (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Asians tend to forget that there are 40,000 other students at unsw, especially when they take up the entire width of uniwalk in groups and walk at literally 30 cm per second.

Yamapi

HSC
Fobs are practically part of the UNSW campus environment. Even in highschool i knew of the high level of fob activity at unsw, it's pretty much renowned for it (but i must admit i was suprised at how high it was). They ain't really bad people they're just diffrent, diffrent cultures always means a diffrent perspective. Just because theyr'e diffrent (and at times get on your nerves) dosn't mean you go hating on them, we got enough hate in this world.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
Dumsum said:
Asians tend to forget that there are 40,000 other students at unsw, especially when they take up the entire width of uniwalk in groups and walk at literally 30 cm per second.
wasn't going to post because alot of the stuff people have said you get used to and is not a problem anymore after half a semester or so (less people come to uni, wont be as crowded on campus, etc)

but damn.. those asians that gather in a hugeass group of 10+ and just stand and block a common walking area
i.e. that ramp bounded by the bookshop, scientia and faculty of science office they take up the whole way and leave only one lane for two directions of walking traffic and clog the whole place up

nothing against asians, but at unsw the maths isnt on their side
since 99% of the people here at asians, if someone does something inconsiderate / pisses you off, chances are they are asian

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
click here said:
I think mostly international asian students do that
it's not, quite a lot of local students speak "asian" with others. From my experiences it's mostly cantonese (I estimate 90+%), occasionally mandarin and today I think I heard some jap

Last edited:

karoooh

HSC
Riet said:
I hate navigating the OMB, commerce/arts/law students might not know but some parts aren't accessible to others because of indoor walls which requires you to go to ground level and walk around before going back up. It's massively frustrating. I'm lucky all my classes seem to be around the ME building this semester (best building on campus, obviously).
OMG I spent 30 fucking minutes walking around, in and out of OMB trying to find my Astronomy lecture this morning. >:/ Worst. Building layout. EVER.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
UNSW needs more lebs.
See how boring leb-free society is?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
- Taking almost 2 hours to get there by train+bus when i can drive there in 30 mins
- It seems in my classes there are more people who are fluent in other languages than those that are in english
- The mass number of people who are now in 4th year and still have no clue how to do things they were meant to have learnt in first year
- Always seeming to get stuck with people that fall under the previous two points for group assignments. I honestly don't recall a single group project where i havent had to do the whole thing due to group members either not being to understand what the things actually asking you to do, or just plain not having a clue how to do it.
- Idiots who not only keep their phones on loud, but then crawl under their desk while in a tute or lecture and proceed to answer it if it rings
- 3 hour lectures
- Way too many international students
- The fact that i can never make a damn timetable without either having all the subjects clashing or having 3-5 hour gaps between classes
- People that cut in line for bus queues
- People that dont have tickets for buses and try to get on without one, then act ignorant about it when the driver asks them to scan their ticket
- People that speak so damn loud
- Theres always one person in every class who has to display to everyone that they either already know the work or think they're smarter than the rest. You know theres always at least someone that falls into this category. The type that'd fake falling asleep, ask questions they already know the answer to to somehow display to the lecturer they know stuff that hasnt been covered eg 'Cant you make a function onto by restricting its codomain?' Yes you idiot, you learn that shit in year 11, no need to repeat it in a 4th year subject.

I'll add more later, have to head off to uni now -_- Note this is probably more of a 'what i hate about uni' than 'what i hate about UNSW'

wind

HSC
Dumsum said:
Also UNSW isn't really all that big, Usyd campus is much larger (lots of wasted space)
UNSW = 38 hectares
usyd = 70 hectares

UoN = 140 hectares
UWS Campbelltown campus = 160 hectares

I miss the smallness of UNSW now that I'm at newie :( lol

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I have a feeling that it "appears" there are so many asians for a few reasons (I probably won't have covered them all).

- lots of selective school people --> local asians, on top of the internationals
- the internationals live close by and actually go to class. You can bet after a few weeks the no. of white ppl absent will rise dramatically when they realise class is boring and skip it.

Fobs are bad for groupwork...hence make friends and plan your timetable carefully, or avoid subjects that involve groupwork.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
- The fact that I'm the only non-asian in my acct 3a class including the tutor.
- Biomed lectures.. too far away+AC is shit

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
o.bi.sess said:
How I got mistaken for an International Student when I wasn't even wearing the weird outfits/high heels the int. female students wear. :( Do I have a sticker on my forehead that screams "International Newbie" or something?

Fuck man, even I'm starting to get annoyed at the sheer amount of asians and their (sometimes) lack of basic manners/courtsey. Is it possible to be racist towards your own race?

Yes. It is.

I thought I was mentally prepared for the density of Asians... but wow!

I found it hard to make friends as a newbie because Asians just hang within their little groups.

& non-asians are nowhere to be seen. o_O

I think I will start jigging from next week as well.

Avanti

HSC
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the retarded 12 week semesters. And the fact we have a 2 day stuvac, weekend exams and a midsem break after wk 2 when we just got back from holiday.

The fucking stairs-i can hear my ears popping due to the change in altitude.

Why are people complaining just about the non-english speaking students? What about the teachers who hold our education in their hands, yet can not pass any knowledge on due to their inability to speak the language (*cough school of finance *cough)

Although i have to say, apart from the understandable fustration in communicating with international students, there's no reason for this asian bashing. Especially by fellow asians.

Please, get over your inferiority complex.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
An international student today said I don't seem local...even though I have blonde hair and speak with an Australian accent. Hmmm...It's really hard to understand what they are saying and I feel pretty bad asking them to repeat themselves. I know how hard it is for them to learn English though...

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Woah...ease up on the internationals.... Generally speaking, they're some of the friendliest people you'll meet - they don't have all that much choice cos they're unlikely to know many people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)