What you should and shouldnt pick for year 11 and year 12 ( reasons ) (1 Viewer)

v sia

HSC
Should
- Maths ( general , 2 unit , 3 unit ) helps you in getting a uni course ... most of the reqs is basicallly maths at any level . Uai wise ummm 2 unit and up would be wise but no point picking 3 unit and end up getting 40%

- Business studies or economics : again reqs for uni and its good overall courses

- English advanced : same reason again and is a good uai scaling up sorta subject ( warning it's a very demanding subject)

- A tafe course : Accounting , you basically do your HSC in year 11 and this kind of releaves the stress for year 12 reason being obvsiouly you only have to do 4 exams instead of 5 ( 10 units - 2 unit accounting ) and also its a good uai scaling subject ........ also forgeting to mention you get free periods throughout the week but you have to go to 4 hours of tafe 1 day of the week

Shouldnt

- Software design and devolpment , PICK IT ONLY ONLY !! if you are really into coding , like QBASIC and Visual basic , if oyu dont know what Qbasic and Visual basic is , research it and most likely you wouldnt want to do it . Also Software design and development doesnt equal playing tons of game or creating state of the art games

- Hospitality , only choose it if you want a career in the hospitality industry, it really blows and scales down ur overall UAI , theory is long and boring and workplacement really gets in the way especially in year 12

- Senior Science , 1 unit subjects : Really crappy to yyour UAI might as well pick chemistry or biology even physics if you can cope . If you pick 2 one unit subjects you'd have to drop them and if you made a bad choice with 1 of your subject you'd have to keep it

There are lots more . Now this is coming from experience , choose your subjects wisely , choosing a wrong subject and having to keep it until your HSC would either

a) make you lazy
b) make you really lazy and drop out or do really bad
c ) work hard and get high marks for that particular subkject ( which never happens)

At around week 4 or so in year 11 ( the week where you can change your subjects that you dont like ) this is your only chance to change , if you ahve any doubt at all , thiknk about it and either stick with it for 2 years or LEAVE .

Dont do subjects that you'll regret

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1. You are incorrect, many (I won't say most, but I think that it is most) of the courses which specify some form of maths say 2u level or above.
2. I think you'll find that business and economics are required for very few uni courses
3. Adv English scales the same as standard. Down.
4.the reason people pick senior science is because they cannot cope with physics, bio or chem.
5. You can pick up subjects even at the end of year 11 so long as you can pass the yearly exam.
6. You have no idea what you are talking about.

v sia

HSC
withoutaface said:
1. You are incorrect, many (I won't say most, but I think that it is most) of the courses which specify some form of maths say 2u level or above.
2. I think you'll find that business and economics are required for very few uni courses
3. Adv English scales the same as standard. Down.
4.the reason people pick senior science is because they cannot cope with physics, bio or chem.
5. You can pick up subjects even at the end of year 11 so long as you can pass the yearly exam.
6. You have no idea what you are talking about.
-_-' another loser stalking my posts trying to make himself feel more domenent to others.

Its not 2u and above , its any maths , its mostly 2unit and above for higher computer courses

lol yours saying bussiness and economics is req for very few uni's , funny

adv english does not scale the SAME as standard

god can u read, i said might as well pick bio or chem. If a fresh year 11 picks bio chem or physics and they cant cope ?? would they consider doing senior science . Maybe an idiot like you does that but other than that NO

ROFL you cant pick up subjects at the end of year 11 you moron

Anyway i am not awating for your off topic response

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
it all depends on wat u want 2 do right. if ur aim is eng, it is advisable 2 take ext1 maths and physics, chem.

adv eng does seem to scale similary to standard. but the mean marks are different and it is easier to get marks for advanced. thats what i heard anyway.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
v sia said:
you cant pick up subjects at the end of year 11
you can pick up senior science if you do at least one prelim science.

dominant.

business.

awaiting.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
v sia said:
-_-' another loser stalking my posts trying to make himself feel more domenent to others.

Its not 2u and above , its any maths , its mostly 2unit and above for higher computer courses

god can u read, i said might as well pick bio or chem. If a fresh year 11 picks bio chem or physics and they cant cope ?? would they consider doing senior science . Maybe an idiot like you does that but other than that NO

Standard and advanced are combined and scaled as one subject.

PM Slide Rule and ask him whether he's picking bio up at the end of this year. Cause he is.

And flipping through the usyd and uws B Comm, B Eco, and B Buss courses the only prerequisites are maths and english.

You are a
v sia said:

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Stop freaking these pplz out pick subjects for the following reasons:
1. If u like them (coz if u dont u will hate them and not do well)
2. Do wat ur gd at (dont pick a gd scaller if u hate it and wont do well coz it wont help you)
3. dont pick wat ur friends are doing
4 LISTEN to teachers i cant stress that enough
5. dont listen to ppl who tell u its boring, it sux or it scalles bad findout 4urs self
6 reasearch ur subjects ie can i drop, wat does it mean 4 uni and stuff

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
U shouldn't pick courses based on scaling alone. U r more likely to do better if u choose subjects which u enjoy. Also don't pick subjects just cause ur friends are doing them.

Choosing subjects that u like will help u 2 stay motivated and u will find that u will actually enjoy these last 2 years of high school.

No one can actually tell u what subjects to pick ... only u will know which ones to do.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
v sia said:
At around week 4 or so in year 11 ( the week where you can change your subjects that you dont like ) this is your only chance to change , if you ahve any doubt at all , thiknk about it and either stick with it for 2 years or LEAVE .
i swapped my subs in 2nd term of year eleven. even though the school gets upset and refuses to do it at 1st in most cases you can manage to bargain to change ( providing there is room) as it is your HSC.

you would have heard the spill, do what you wanna do before, but it is true, Speak with teachers if you have any doubt

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
teachers contradict each other. Some are all for the marks and scaling, some couldnt care less and all of them... ALL OF THEM... Think their subject is God sent -_-'. Pick a subject because u are comfortable with it and you can get good marks. Otherwise pick it because u'r willing to work hard at it no matter what the teacher throws at you (which means you will get good marks eventually). Unfortunately the little fun and games end and the marks routine begins. Everything you do is assessed in terms of a certain outcome which will give you a certain mark. Don't feel disheartened most of the time this works to many students favour as they can analyse what is required of them and perform up to standard. The only thing that really annoys me is how hard people say senior schooling is. It's only hard if YOU miss the work and YOU miss the assessments, otherwise it's just a step forward in your educational experience.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
i know they contradict each other! ( i learnt this lol) but talk to heaps of them and pick out the main points they all say, and try and find a none biased one to talk too, and decipher what all the rest of the teachers are saying

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
nick1048 said:
assessments, otherwise it's just a step forward in your educational experience.
you have to say that it is a pretty big and major spet foward though, maybe more like a jump ...

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
Don't just do what you enjoy, but do what you KNOW will you do well in and be able to get a good ranking. There isn't much of a point in choosing say, Extension 1 Mathematics if you know you're gonna get your arse kicked because as much as scaling can help you, it can also work against you if you don't perform very well in your subjects.

Just try your best and if worse comes to worse, eat ice-cream.

HSC
why the hell are you telling people whats good for them and whats not?'

i think its best everyone chooses what they really feel theyll enjoy AND do well in.

no point picking something youll enjoy and know you wont be capable of, thatll eventually drag your pride down and make you wanna quit school even.

its true, yes standard and advanced do scale the same.

you cant say no you cant do this cos ive done it and it was crap blahblahblah
who gives a flying crap if youve done it and it was crap for you? maybe your school taught it differently and made it crap. maybe your teachers made it crap. or maybe even you made it crap!

this is a fucking horrific thread, and not a single person in year 10 that wants to go to school and finish it should read the first post.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
v sia said:

So, anyway...

General mathematics IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH for any university course which requires maths (any BSc course, and more). 2 unit Mathematics is the bare minimum, but I would suggest at least 3 unit if you're going to do a science.

I have not found any courses which suggest business is recommended. PERHAPS economics would be recommended for some commerce courses (but then, maths probably would be, too).

Advanced English scaled the same as Standard (and bad scaling, too), but aligned differently. But you should take Advanced instead of Standard, anyway.

Senior Science is NOT a 1 unit course. It is 2 unit. It is generally lousy, with lousy scaling. I suggest against it.

If you plan to do a science at uni, note that chemistry is recommended more than physics for most science degrees, and biology barely at all.

General mathematics is as bad as Senior Science - almost identical crappy scaling and it teaches you crap all. VERY BAD CHOICE.

Extension 2 Mathematics is the best course ever. Firstly, it makes your Ext 1 Maths course count as 2 units instead of 1. Both Ext maths courses have the highest scaling of all subjects, excluding a small few languages, and finally, mathematics is the bomb.

Chemistry is an OK course if you don't mind remembering the theory. A bit of year 8 mathematics in it. A pretty solid choice, since the scaling is very good and the work is not "hard".

Physics has slightly lower scaling than chem. The concepts might be foudn to be harder to comprehend than in chem. Very little maths involved - so don't just pick this on the basis that you're good at maths. A bit of a dodgy course, really, since in recent years the maths got zapped and lots ore general detail was added. Still, if you're looking for a science, here's one.

Biology I am considering taking in year 12 in place of SDD. It looks like it is very interesting compared to chemistry, but the scaling is pretty neutral, and unless you plan to do a biological science, the usefulness of this course is limited. That said, I get the distinct impression that this course would be better than physics - the HSC course is way better than the prelim course in this case.

Software Design and Development - eh, a bit of a touchy one. Your school picks a language for you. It's C++ here (don't fret, though, most schools pick VBasic - or is that cause to fret?). It isn't a hard course. It is a pretty arduous one, with both a large qauntity of theory, and not a small amount of programming, but if you are interested in computers in general AND are interested in programming, consider this course.

Oh, and you CAN take courses in year 12 if you didn't do them in year 11, depending on how much you nag your school about it. You'll have to do the prelim yearly and probably some other assessments (it depends on how your school plays it - you might not have to do any year 11 work at all).

Oh, and my last note is that you should check out the year 11 teachers for subjects, too. You don't want to end up with a complete dickhead teaching you. This isn't a very big matter, but it might be critical in deciding whether you want a subject sometimes. Ones to look out for are SDD and English teachers.

Hopefully I have taken a more informed, less biased approach to this than you did, but I doubt this is a perfect run-down of the courses, since there'll always be somebody who disagrees with you about this course or that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)