Whats a decent chemistry textbook ? (1 Viewer)

Monstar

HSC
Currently, i have the Roland one, but does anyone have one which has simpler and easier to understand?

P

pLuvia

I'm not sure about simple but I have Conquering Chemistry and Chemistry Contexts 2. Which I think Conquering Chemistry is better. But if you want more simple books, look for Macquarie or Excel.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Roland is Conquering Chemistry. I have the fourth edition to use for tutoring and I love the set-out. The third edition was good too, that was my main textbook during the HSC.

I think CC is quite easy to digest. You can try Excel but I don't recommend it. Have a look at some other textbooks and if you don't find any of them simple, then the problem's with your understanding, not the textbooks.

Chemistry Contexts goes off on random tangents and sometimes takes pages to explain something that isn't even in the syllabus. Small topics are sometimes done in unnecessary detail, which can be a good thing if you're doing research, but inconvenient if you're looking for a textbook that will take you through the course during the holidays.

Chemistry Pathways isn't bad either. I kept it on the side if I needed to refer to more than one textbook.

I do strongly recommend CC but note that if you have the third edition, there is a mistake regarding the anode and cathode in copper purification in the Electrochemistry chapter (even though it's not in the course).

P.S. You don't have to buy every textbook. If you want to skim through them, do so at the bookshop or borrow from a library. Check what textbooks your school has and find out whether you'll be issued one. If you must buy them, ask past HSC students who have taken good care of their textbooks - you'll get an almost-new one for less than half the price.

Last edited:

A l

HSC
N/A
What about Surfing Chemistry textbooks?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
A l said:
Never seen them before in a book store, but I do have the Surfing Physics textbook on space, which is alright, I happen to be tutored in a small class by that author.

I <3 Conquering Chemistry, it's so nicely set out as Dreamerish*~ said, and it's light, compact and easy to understand for me.

I also have Chemistry Contexts 2, which I occassionally refer to whenever I need more detail in my summaries. The best and worst thing about Chemistry Contexts 2 is the excessive detail and unecessary stuff that isn't in the syllabus, but it does help
understand the concepts better.

Sometimes when Conq Chem doesn't have enough on a dot point, I will read through what Chem Contexts has and add on to my summary.

I also have 2 further sources that I like to cross-reference from, from 2 different coaching schools. :p

All in all, I reckon you should stick to Conquering Chem as your primary text, because it's one of the best textbooks out there. :lol:

Last edited:

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Riviet said:
All in all, I reckon you should stick to Conquering Chem as your primary text, because it's one of the best textbooks out there.
Sometimes I feel like the only one who doesn't like Conquering Chemistry... I feel that Roland Smith is a little too vague on dot points, could use a few English lessons, and could also learn a bit about structuring sections. But that's just me. :p

Anyways, between Conquering Chemistry and Chemistry Contexts, you should have everything you need in a base text. :)

I_F

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
i found chem texts to be the most useful overall. Although the 4th edition of conquering chemistry does look very flashy. Shame it only came out one week before my HSC.

Kaz Man

HSC
at school we get the chem pathways text for reference but our teacher photocopies the contexts for us. pathways isn't that bad but i like chem contexts. it's got pretty good examples and stuff

beabenn

tambourine man
HSC
Generally Chemistry textbooks are excellent sources but they should only be treated as sources, the safest bet is to compile your own notes in correlation with the syllabus and a variety of sources. I got 95 for chem and used Roland smith 3rd ed but that book had some GLARING mistakes in it, i haven't seen the 4th edition but you should check out roland smith's website (just google conquering chemistry) for updated info

FSWARD

HSC
N/A
dont know which book?

Howdy,

Just a browsing teacher.

The best book for simplified explanations and straight forward questions is chemistry in context. No confusing facts. The key author is; Debbie Irwin deputy at Strathfield Girls.

Good luck

FSWARD

FSWARD

HSC
N/A
surfing texts

A l said:
They are great.]

Most teachers will give you the best worksheets as handouts

FSWARD

HSC
N/A
insert-username said:
Sometimes I feel like the only one who doesn't like Conquering Chemistry... I feel that Roland Smith is a little too vague on dot points, could use a few English lessons, and could also learn a bit about structuring sections. But that's just me. :p

Anyways, between Conquering Chemistry and Chemistry Contexts, you should have everything you need in a base text. :)

I_F
Roland's books are interesting.

I had him as a lecturer. Very complex terminology and often overwhelming for HSC kids as their primary text. Often the exercises are more indepth then the HSC expects. We use it at school but I also regularly supliment with other texts

Id get pathways or chem contexts as another book if chem isnt your strongest topic. They are more user friendly

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
as all have said, I'd definately reccommend the roland conquering chem text book. for extra resources to understnad concepts in perhaps in a slightly more simplifed manner, go to the Maquarie Revision Guide. I loved that book, it saved me.

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
The best book for simplified explanations and straight forward questions is chemistry in context. No confusing facts. The key author is; Debbie Irwin deputy at Strathfield Girls.
Hehe, actually,. she was at SGHS when she wrote it! :p

My strategy was to use that as a main book and if i wasn't happy that it covered a dot point well enough i went to conquering chem. Contexts was good for most things i thought tho. So if u already have conquering chem, i'd still say contexts is worth the investment, u should have everythign covered between them.

Spotlight might be worth a flick thru too, i used that a bit too... nice and colourful :)

aek

Banned
HSC
I reckon a good student should purchase all text-books. Why? Because one may have the info the others missing.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
aek said:
I reckon a good student should purchase all text-books. Why? Because one may have the info the others missing.
That's what I'm kind of doing. Except I use several other sources to make "mad chemistry notes". :lol:

Nat_nat

Ive got...
Chem Contexts 2 (school one that we all use)
Conquering chemistry
Chemistry Pathways
Excel HSC chemistry
and the study packs from EdAssist...for the core topics

having all is good...good references lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)