• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

whats a good raw 4unit HSC mark? (2 Viewers)

haque

HSC
no worries vafa-what gamecw said- i was referring to some guys from the past from my school and family friends lol-i wouldn't say anything to insult anyone

Last edited:

alexvincent

HSC
It's been frequently said that a lot depends on the quality of the candidature of the year. What exactly does this mean?

So if I get 75/120 and the candidature is really good, what happens? Or if it is relatively poor?

Raginsheep

HSC
It means that in some years 70/120 might be good enough to get a band 6 in other years you need 90/120.

Raginsheep

HSC
alexvincent said:
And in which years is 70 good enough? when the candidature is of poor quality?
Look, to be honest, if your an average student who performs to a level an average student normally would, then your going to get an average mark. Just because you got a mark past some arbitiary number doesn't mean that your instantly going to get a band 6.

Raginsheep

HSC
Riviet said:
Tough test + Poor candiature => Lower Cutoffs
Yes but that also means that all students, with some exceptions, as a rule will get lower marks which balance everything out.

I may sound harsh but stop thinking that "zomg......I must get above 80/120 or im not going to get a band 6!" and instead get the best mark you can get because at the end of the day, you can't do much better than that.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
True that, and I guess those lower cutoffs would just be harder to beat (due to the harder exam paper). :p

speedie

HSC
what did everyone think of the 2003 HSC? hard or not...
cause i got 92/120 compared to like 80/120 in 2000

Azzayear1207

HSC
i have just started my HSC course and atm im already doing 3u maths. for my assessment mark (end of eyar report mark) i only managed to get a 60. for my end of year preliminary exam i did abit worse getting 53 raw mark scaling to 58 in the class. I think i can improve alot, my teacher agrees...getting my test mark to at least 65% with my assessment just making the high 75's.

Should i be considering ext 2?

gamecw

HSC
finally printed out 05 paper, (costed me 2 bux!)

just finished doin + markin it

got 84/120 exactly 70%.. is that ok?

Raginsheep

HSC
Azzayear1207 said:
i have just started my HSC course and atm im already doing 3u maths. for my assessment mark (end of eyar report mark) i only managed to get a 60. for my end of year preliminary exam i did abit worse getting 53 raw mark scaling to 58 in the class. I think i can improve alot, my teacher agrees...getting my test mark to at least 65% with my assessment just making the high 75's.

Should i be considering ext 2?
If your struggling; no. If your not that confident in maths; no. If your sitting in the middle of the grade in maths and asking this question; no.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
I know that the marks depends on the test's difficulty but I was just wondering if it easier to achieve an aligned mark of 95 give or take is easier in 2 Unit or 4 Unit?

Because lets look at it this way; if you're doing 4 Unit, you must be pretty good at 2 Unit, right? So which one would be easier to achieve that 90+ scaled mark?

Preferably, can anyone give me a general figure of what raw mark you need in 2 Unit and Unit to get a 90 scaled mark?

gamecw

HSC
~shinigami~ said:
Preferably, can anyone give me a general figure of what raw mark you need in 2 Unit and Unit to get a 90 scaled mark?
i think 100~103+/120 <- 2u
84~94/120 <- 4u

but it changes everyyear

Raginsheep

HSC
~shinigami~ said:
I know that the marks depends on the test's difficulty but I was just wondering if it easier to achieve an aligned mark of 95 give or take is easier in 2 Unit or 4 Unit?

Because lets look at it this way; if you're doing 4 Unit, you must be pretty good at 2 Unit, right? So which one would be easier to achieve that 90+ scaled mark?

It might be easier to get an scaled mark of 90+ for your HSC certificate but for UAI calculations, it looks at raw marks.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
gamecw and SoulSearcher, Thanks for the figures I asked for. :)

Raginsheep said:
It might be easier to get an scaled mark of 90+ for your HSC certificate but for UAI calculations, it looks at raw marks.
Really? Now it makes sense why it's better to do 4 Unit as long as you're decent at it.

So basically, as long as I do decently at 4 Unit, it should be better than doing 2 Unit?

Raginsheep

HSC
The basic idea of the BOS and UAC is that you shouldn't be punished for doing a subject perceived as "easy" or "hard".

Truth is though, 4unit students are more likely to do better in their other subjects compared to say a 2unit student. Thus you get pulled up by everyone.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Raginsheep said:
Truth is though, 4unit students are more likely to do better in their other subjects compared to say a 2unit student. Thus you get pulled up by everyone.
Sorry cause this may sound stupid but I don't really understand what you mean. Could you explain it to me? :)

Azzayear1207

HSC
fair enough. im just going to really focus on ext 1 aiming to get high 70s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)