whats a stat test exactly? (1 Viewer)

royaaran

HSC
My careers teacher told us about some kind of test "stat test", that we could take if we are 10 marks behind the mark we want. I still dont get how it works though:S

When do we take it and can anyone take it and how hard is it and..and... can it really make a big difference?

royaaran

HSC
Awwwwwwwww man this sucks....the 3 universities that i WANT TO GO TO dont except STAT

This sucks ass hard core

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

royaaran said:
Awwwwwwwww man this sucks....the 3 universities that i WANT TO GO TO dont except STAT

This sucks ass hard core
Why does it matter? The STAT test is required for courses which are in certain university, you don't necessarily need it to do the course

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
royaaran, the scheme you are reffering to is the RET which uses STAT results to produce an alternative entrance rank into UWS only.

Other uses include mature age entry(and this is what the UAC site catalogues when they say whether unis accept STAT), it also used as an additional criterion for USYD BPharmacy.

If you are interested in the RET, you only have to wait as UWS will mail out a package to all eligible candidates when the time comes. If you are interested in the STAT for Pharmacy however, you may take either the upcoming session(which is the same one as the RET people do) or the one in I think November.

I myself did the RET/STAT, and while I didn't end up choosing to go to UWS I believe it was well worth taking, if only for the opportunities it opened - after taking it, it gave me a score that would have allowed me to pick any course they offered. And considering it also helps meet the criteria for certain other courses, as well as giving you an alternative entry method for you to use when you're mature age then it was most certainly worth it.

It really isn't that hard - you don't need to study for it or anything. Its more a general aptitude test than anything, requires logic and little more. It is divided into two pieces, firstly the multiple choice which has a series of qualitative and quantitative questions, and secondly the essay component where we had to write two short essays on given topics. If you're interested in Pharmacy, you won't need to do the essay bit though it is required for the RET scheme.

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Ok, the STAT is a test and it has three uses:
  • Mature Age entry - which is mainly what the UAC site discusses when it says 'what unis accept it'.
  • As a prerequisite for pharmacy at USYD.
  • As a part of the RET scheme, which is a method of alternative entry to UWS that can give you 10 points leeway. If you are eligible for this, then UWS will send you a letter.

This test is in two components, the essay part, and the multiple choice part. People wanting pharmacy at USYD just do multiple choice, people wanting the RET do both components.

There are two STAT sessions a year, one around the time of the trials IIRC and one around November. RET people must sit the first one, pharmacy candidates may go for either.

If you aren't interested in either UWS or pharmacy at USYD, or you aren't mature age then the STAT is not relevant to you.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
This leeway only applies to UWS, and I strongly suspect it's not 10 points, because 10 points is a lot.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
This leeway only applies to UWS, and I strongly suspect it's not 10 points, because 10 points is a lot.
up to 10 points:)

UWS are very generous with their flexible entry schemes, its good news for prospective med students if that applies to the MBBS. Especially since the STAT is probably a better indicator of intelligence than a UAI(though far from definitive)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)