What's Benchmarking? (1 Viewer)

nak

HSC
Hey guys,

I am still wondering after 3 days reading the Benchmarking definition from my macquarie text book....which didn't make any sense to me (lol)

Any help with this meaning would be great, an example would be great aswell :)

Thanks,

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
Lets start with the term 'benchmarking' in general, and look at its application to the IT world. When one preforms a "benchmark" on their computer, they test different aspects of it including its ability to run different animations at high speed. This result is recorded and a number (score) and can be compared against others worldwide.

In the business world, benchmarking is the comparison against compeditors in reagards to different business-oriented implementations. What Do I mean by that?, simply put, a business compares itself to another business. This is usually used to determine how successful others have been in implementing change, what sort of effect its had on them in comparison to your business, levels of absenteeism/turnover to discern employee satisfaction - ultimately attributed to different implementations in this other business, comparing expenses, etc ..

A business benchmarks in order to determine how successful an implementation of change has been in relation to other business that have followed a similar route. One could also benchmark against previous results from past years of their business as a means of observing the development of their company as a result of change, and how this change has impacted specific elements.

Hopefully that makes sense, just reply back if theres any queries .. im sure others will offer insight aswell though ;)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Benchmarking (also "best practice benchmarking" or "process benchmarking") is a process used in management and particularly strategic management, in which organizations evaluate various aspects of their processes in relation to best practice, usually within their own sector. This then allows organizations to develop plans on how to adopt such best practice, usually with the aim of increasing some aspect of performance. Benchmarking may be a one-off event, but is often treated as a continuous process in which organizations continually seek to challenge their practices.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchmarking for more :)
Hope that helped!

nak

HSC
thanks exa_boi87 and goan crazy^^
it gave me a deeper understanding.

Tomorrow's the day.....the last exam for me and probably for most poeple.
Good luck everyone! and for those who finished already this year, or in the past...wish us a luck! (lol)

Thanks guys,

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
seremify007 said:
Does 'benchmarking' come under Monitoring then in a Marketing Plan?
NO benchmarking is in ER-effective employment relations
and in finance-benchmarking against industry standards.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I know benchmarking can be used in those two situations, but I'm also referring to whether or not it could be used as a way of gauging the success of changes in marketing policy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)