• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Whats going on with MUSC and legal action i keep hearing about? (3 Viewers)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
wow. all this constitutional shit. and here i was thinking that all these organisations were just quickly put together and informal. The website has a lot of bitching, but it is only from one side, and given that i wouldn't have a clue about stuff like this, i'll continue to be skeptical...Actually i'll continue to not give a crap.
You seriously thought SAM an MUSC was 'quickly put together and informal'??

doe

HSC
N/A
uni politics

steer clear kids, self interest ahoy.

its a nice sunny day, go drink some beer and perve on the girls.

doe

HSC
N/A
what do you guys think of the union? as an australian born, employed, straight, middle class white guy i never felt particularly represented. i spent 6 years paying sports association fees and never used the gym till the last 6months of uni. the student union used my money to organise protests that i didnt agree with. man i dislike politics. i remember looking at those voting forms and every candidate had something like '... i am going to work to improve the lot of international students ...'

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
From one eighty degrees :

" Over the last few years, SAM has been growing increasingly corporate. You might have noticed the barrage of advertising around campus? Or maybe the services which are slowly disappearing? The Computing Centre (free computer use) and Student Space (a room to just go and hang out in) have vanished, as has O-Camp and the SAM Volunteers project. Perhaps you've noticed that you now pay at the individual food outlets, rather than as you leave? This is so that SAM can outsource their food, which means that people lose their jobs and you don't get any discount, paying regular retail price. Have you been down to the Art Studio yet? It's not called the Art Studio anymore, it's the Digital Media Centre. This is so SAM can focus on making corporate videos and operating as a business, rather than a service provider. "

(my emphasis)

I'm actually thinking about getting involved in this kind of stuff now (the way I keep changing my mind about degrees it's perfectly likely I'll be here in 10 years so it's in my own interest, lol)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think when they work, theyre great, when theyre fucked, i aint paying

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
i might seem strange but i like how you pay at the individual counters now... Of course the less employment is unfortunate, although there seems be be about the same amount of workers now anywayz.

I'm an australian born, employed, straight, middle class white guy too (i am not Asian ok? :p), this is another personal opinion too, but i don't mind that i am not represented as long as they remain corrupt-free and don't show bias towards anyone, although my views are most likely in the minority. Maybe i don't show enough interest in it for it to bother me :/
You're a smartass white guy, too, Phoenix ;)

I like the pay-at-the-spot-you-get-the-food stuff, too. Things seem to move faster: you stand in one queue instead of two. I suppose it's not really made total waiting time less, but it seems it.

If SAM wants to increase their prices while I'm paying them with bi-annual fees (though admittedly I don't know what proportion of my fees goes to them), I'll bitch about it then. If I stop paying them, they can charge whatever they like: MQ centre is only a few minutes walk if need be...

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I think SAF are ok for Sam, because everyone uses it and everyone gets their lovely green discount card. But with things like MUSA etc. you should only have to pay if you use their facilities.

Maybe its because I'm a female, but I honestly dont care about all this political crap (bar the bitching about MUSA). As long as there are lecturer's, tutors and rooms for these to be held in, I'm a happy chappy!

... and I also like the paying at the food counter thing too... And the removal of that gross sandwich bar thing.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
the pay at the counter is great, i can't stress enough how much i like it, it's faster, more hygenic, less cluttered, there aren't as many people hanging around.

i don't know what the union does.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
i do think its way more commercial but yeh i agree its way faster now... though i think they gotta reduce prices... we uni students... and bums...
and has anyone actually used their green/red sam cards?

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Orange Juice said:
...and has anyone actually used their green/red sam cards?
Once or twice.. MJ is the expert in this (becasue she's broke and I'm always got an overflowing wallet, so I don't need to spend time looking into discounts.. ain't that right, MJ? ;)), but for example, CityExtra does something, along with Montezumas (mexican restaurant, but only the one in Parra, not Manly)..

What'd I miss, MJ?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
$7.50 for some thai is waay to expensive.

The comment someone made about not caring as long as they're not corrupt. Well the thing is that they are corrupt. And I don't wanna say anymore and get people I may or may not know in trouble..

As for caring...I'm a bit too busy right now. Got 3 x 400-level law subjects, 2 jobs, plus I gotta juggle MULS stuff and try to maintain a social life.

And yeah, I think the food court's better now...certainly better at lunch times...less of a squeeze. As for the make your own sandwich...I'm sad to see that go.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it's definitely too expensive. i don't buy the overly expensive things because i may as well go to mac centre and get something more expensive there that tastes better

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
They should have an Opoto's on campus! Cheap, tasty food at stable prices! :) Are uni's allowed to have such things on their campuses? (Or do none of them have any because they're expensive franchises?)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The Cafeteria upstairs shits all over downstairs :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)