What's history like at ANU? (1 Viewer)

Mustafa Mond

Hey all,
I'm looking at going to ANU next year to do Arts probably majoring in history. Is there anyone who's doing some history this year who can tell me what it's like and how good the courses/teaching is? Also what's the uni like in general? is canberra a good place to study and live?

Thanks for any info,
Mustafa

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
I am majoring in both History and English, and personally English takes the cake, but thats me.

First year history at ANU is a bit lacking in the fact that there isn't much choice and if you get stuck with something you don't like, your most likely going to form a very boring picture of history in later years. Its ok, but its the most reading heavy course I do and thats saying alot!
Uni is nice, people are... nice enough, extremely nice on and off campus. experienced both, would rather off, but people are different.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
I am also an English/History major (2nd year) and i would have to say that first year history can be relly good or amazingly bad, depending on your subject choice.
I did 5 history courses in my first year (Rome Republic to Empire, Europe in the Modern Era, Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome, Foundations of U.S. History, Illuminating the Dark Ages) I absolutly loved Europe in the Modern Era and Foundatiosn of U.S. History but hated Rome:Republic to Empire and Illuminating the Dark Ages, mainly becuase of the lectureres. I think talking to other people who have done first year history is the best way to make sure you enjoy it, find out about the courses and the lectureres and go from there.
I actually think that ANU has a pretty amazing variety of first year history courses compared to some other unis. I mean its not an area that recieves a lot of funding and is considered a bit dead, so i really think its quite impresive that the school and the faculaty provide us much as they do.
The reading load for some courses is a bit heavier then most, but that just history, theres no way around it, and if you are lucky and like the course its probarbly going to be interesting so you won't mind so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)