What's history like at University ofSydney? (1 Viewer)

Mustafa Mond

Hey all,
I'm looking at going to USyd next year to do Arts probably majoring in history of some vareity. Is there anyone who's doing some history this year who can tell me what it's like and how good the courses/teaching is? Also what's the uni like in general? Is sydney agood place to stuidy and live (i'm from country NSW)? Also what are people's living expenses like? I need to decide if I can afford it!

Thanks for any info,
Mustafa

Beanie

HSC
History at Sydney is really intereting and stimulating. I did two histories last semester and 2 this semester. There generally isnt too much work, usually 1 or 2 essays, a tut presenation and an exam. The areas that the lecture look at are interesting and the tutors are really supporting, giving back lots of feedback. The only drawback is the sometimes inane and boring readings of chapters of textbooks written by historians that makes watching grass grow interesting. But i strongly recommend it, uni history pushes you way past the learning boundaries of high school.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Hey, if anyone did extension history at high school, how does it compare with uni history? Are there electives at uni that are similar, ie looking at the theory and practice of history/historiography, or is it all pretty much case studies of various historical periods?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
gemita said:
Hey, if anyone did extension history at high school, how does it compare with uni history? Are there electives at uni that are similar, ie looking at the theory and practice of history/historiography, or is it all pretty much case studies of various historical periods?
im just guessing here, but it would be more likely that you wouldnt get that sorta stuff til the higher levels, 1000 level courses are usually pretty general and basic.

Beanie

HSC
Historiography is examined throughout studying the various timeables, Uni isnt about the lecturers shoving facts down your throat, usually the history readings are sources, in which we discuss historiograph issues in the tuts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)