What's it like doing commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

killua_3

HSC
Just wondering, what's it like doing either of these courses. I'm really a science/engineering person, but this is also within my range.

So basically, i'm just after things like do you get a lot of free time or what kinds of assessments do you do (please don't say all essays....it'll definitely deter me from doing commerce) and etc. I know these things vary from uni to uni, so yeah, if you guys can give me a broad perspective then it'll be nice.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
For the units I've done the assessments were:

Microeconomics: Tutorial work (took ~20 minutes so I did this on the train), Essay (1500 words) on the economic implications of alcho-pop taxes, mid semester exam (30 multiple choice and 3 short answers) and final exam (30 multiple choice, 3 short answers and an essay.)

Macroeconomics: Mid semester exam (10 multiple choice and 3 short answers) and Final exam (mutliple choice, short answers and essays.)

Financial Accounting: Tutorial work (took a few hours), Assignment (40 page accounting work - took me about 20 hrs), Mid semester exam (Multiple choice and Short Answer) and Final exam (Multiple choice and 6 short answers.)

------------

You haven't stated what kind of science you are doing but it is ALOT less pressure than computer science. I learned quite a bit from financial accounting and not too much from my economics units (they are too similar to year 12 stuff.)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
barely any essays. in exams it is mostly short answer stuff or multi-guess.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Generally, across both degrees you'll find that they are structured something like this:

1st Year:
- Homework is Assessed
- Technically based Assignments (journal entries/technical interpretations)
- Presentations (exploring concepts)
- Mid Semester Tests (multi-choice, short answer)
- Final Exam (multi-choice, short answer, preparing financial statements)

2nd Year:
- Pretty similar to above, with more focus on applying basic principles from first year

3rd Year:
- Essays/Reports (nothing of major difficulty, 1000-1500 words max)
- Exploring theory and issues, less technically based

Can't say that this is identical across all universities and their respective offerings, although in terms of Commerce, if you are doing Accounting they need to cover specific areas of study to be accredited with CA/CPA, so there wont be too much difference.

Basically, it's technically based for the beginning year, implements this knowledge practically in second year and explores issues and theory in the third year. In terms of structure, it these degrees would be more inline with the structure of an engineering degree than a science degree.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)