what's it like to be a Casual? (1 Viewer)

Insanity

HSC
Recently I got a job at Michel's Patisserie as a junior casual. Basically I know that casuals get paid more than part-timers and that you're on call but that's about it. So I'm not really sure what to expect ...

I worked a couple of hours last week, but I haven't been paid yet [my working conditions haven't really been discussed although that's partly my fault] ... so I'm thinking do they pay on a week by week basis or cash in hand? Also with casuals, I've read that you're on call on a day to day basis or an hourly basis[?] but if that's true then I'm a bit worried since they haven't called me in for work for 3 days ...

Is it normal for a casual not to be called in for work over a week?

gerhard

HSC
Have you given them bank details and tax file number and all that?

If youve done that, then theyll pay you week to week into your bank account. If you havent done that then maybe cash in hand.

Also normally casuals are on a roster. Every week you check the roster and find out your shifts for that week. And if someone else calls in sick theyll probably call and ask you to work. Thats about it.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
what i learn being a casual at maccas. one week , you have a 20 hour roster and they keep calling you asking if u can work another day. The next week you got 1 3 hour shift , and not 1 call. Then you turn 1 year older , and you never get more then a few hours a week , because yuor too expensive

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
SashatheMan said:
what i learn being a casual at maccas. one week , you have a 20 hour roster and they keep calling you asking if u can work another day. The next week you got 1 3 hour shift , and not 1 call. Then you turn 1 year older , and you never get more then a few hours a week , because yuor too expensive
that description of being a casual is about right. you never know when you will get to work, sometimes it's a lot and they keep asking you for more, sometimes it's virtually nothing

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i am very lucky in that regard i guess. i work every sat/sun. in uni holz i work as many days as i can. these holidays i've been doing 40 hr+ weeks.

i've got summer school coming up so i told them i wont be able to work during the weekdays for those 3 weeks (couldnt get weekends off too). after that ends i'm back doing 5/6 days till uni starts up, where i am back to sat/sun.

been at my work for nearly 2 yrs now. love the flexibility. you have to remember you also have rights as casuals. and make always ask for days off, etc. just after the manager has asked you to cover for someone else. ;)

P

pLuvia

Insanity said:
Recently I got a job at Michel's Patisserie as a junior casual. Basically I know that casuals get paid more than part-timers and that you're on call but that's about it. So I'm not really sure what to expect ...

I worked a couple of hours last week, but I haven't been paid yet [my working conditions haven't really been discussed although that's partly my fault] ... so I'm thinking do they pay on a week by week basis or cash in hand? Also with casuals, I've read that you're on call on a day to day basis or an hourly basis[?] but if that's true then I'm a bit worried since they haven't called me in for work for 3 days ...

Is it normal for a casual not to be called in for work over a week?
Casuals receive more pay, but do not receive sick leave pay as full and part timers get. But if they haven't called you for 3 days, maybe you should go and talk to them.
About the pay, at McDonald's when I used to work, they payed every Wednesday, so maybe the pay might come some other day

Insanity

HSC
Gerhard said:
Have you given them bank details and tax file number and all that?
No I haven't ... I tried discussing it with the boss once, but there were customers coming and going so he had to attend to them. And then I couldn't be bothered waiting since I'd already had enough of the place and figured they would call me back to work next week or something so I left it at that.
Stupid me.

Sashatheman said:
So does that mean I'm already on the receiving end since I'm already 18? I know that there's a girl that's younger than me and is also a casual. Might that affect my workload?
As for the roster, they had one but I didn't see my name put anywhere besides the days I actually worked.

So, if anybody can answer me, is it normal for a casual, that's new and 18, to not receive work for over a week?

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
you know i really think first of all you should go in there and handin your bank details and tax file number and say look i haven't been paid, here are my details and what day will i be paid. There's no point whinging about not getting any work when the work you do get you don't get paid for.

To answer your question, yes it is normal. I've worked at my store for 4 years and when i was still a casual there would be weeks where i didn't get a shift and it was simply because i was a casual and there were other staff members who needed to have their normal shifts. The fact that you're more expensive as you ge t older sometimes does affect the number of shifts you receive. If you're really worried I suggest you take the time to go into the store when you know it's not going to be overly busy and you know the boss/owner is going to be there and have a word to him, and take your bank details too.
I'm amazed they didn't ask you to hand in your details during an OHS session or store induction.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
cherryblossom said:
so what happens if your TFN is still in processing...?
Work never had my tax file number until i turned 18 and they called me to bring it in... If it's still in processing then i would imagine that they would still tax you the same but fix it all up as soon asyou take your number in? i dont really know how it works.

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
How old are you? Most 14 y.o's have their TFN :p

I'm just like Redrum. Even though I hate my work, the staff are greaaasch. 30+ hrs/week, flexibility and great pay.

As for pNippia's base comment: Casual loading is shit all. Mine was 15 cents last week.

G

Gavvvvvin

Casual loading 15 cents? How long did you work? 5 minutes? Somethings not right there...

Collin

HSC
N/A
Are you on some sort of a contract? Not knowing your working conditions prior to starting proper shifts is not a good idea. If you're on a casual contract, the minimum hours to be allocated to your roster should be stated.

- Messiah - said:
A good guy does not murder. :rofl:
Shit man, you should try out for stand up comedy.

G

Gavvvvvin

Casuals should be at least getting an extra 20% on the minimum hourly wage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)