What's more time consuming...? (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Loz_metalhead said:
The uni work load is MUCH larger, but I still feel like I have alot of free time. I would say the hsc, but that's because I was at school 5 days a week. Now im only at uni 12 hours a week so it seems less time consuming, but I spend time at home and in the library studying/doing readings.

It's just a change and you will adapt very quickly.
echoing your sentiments.

possibly also due to the fact that I really enjoy the subjects I do at uni, hence lack of that serious burden feeling. The HSC was very be all and end all for me (parents), whereas at uni, I'll just do the damn subject again. Or withdraw the subject because it's horrible etc.

Last edited:
HSC
I have 23 contact hours a week for first semester x_X so I would say at the end it's the same as school pretty much :) but the work seems never ending in uni so I would have to say uni is more time consuming and brain taxing

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I have 8 contact hours.

Shit yeah honours year + practical subjects!

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
UNI !

..you can pretty much just cram for the HSC during assessments & exams and bludge for the rest of the year.

..but most tutorials in uni prevent you from bludging and tossing ur h/w in the bin :/

ippie

HSC
just-a-stranger said:
UNI !

..you can pretty much just cram for the HSC during assessments & exams and bludge for the rest of the year.

..but most tutorials in uni prevent you from bludging and tossing ur h/w in the bin :/
Yeah i agree.

I used to cram heaps for HSC, and it was all good. And we got spoon fed hahahaa

Uni - contrast: go to lectures/do your work, or fall behind. Falling behind at school was no big deal, shit we learnt was easy to catch up on/pointless.

I hate travelling as well. And I used to complain about travelling to school (which took an hr a day, tops). Now I spend like 3-4hrs travelling -_- such a waste of time - doesnt help that my station is a small one :(

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
ippie said:
I hate travelling as well. And I used to complain about travelling to school (which took an hr a day, tops). Now I spend like 3-4hrs travelling -_- such a waste of time - doesnt help that my station is a small one :(

not only is it a waste of time, it also takes most of your energy. i cant imagine travelling 4 hours a day. i travel about 2.5 hours a day (includes return home) and by the time i get home i sleep all the way till morning and next day's classes.. sleeping takes my time for readings.

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
I have to agree with a few posts, passing uni is easier then the HSc, getting a credit and over is much harder then the HSC. I have found most subjects "give" you 25 or 30 marks but to earn the rest you have to work your anus off.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
just-a-stranger said:
not only is it a waste of time, it also takes most of your energy. i cant imagine travelling 4 hours a day. i travel about 2.5 hours a day (includes return home) and by the time i get home i sleep all the way till morning and next day's classes.. sleeping takes my time for readings.
Yeah, it really does get draining. I travel about 4 hours every day, with lots of waiting in between trains/buses as well, and by the time I get home every day all I can be bothered to do is bum around online or watch tv or sleep. I would study while I travel, but I get motion sick, so there goes that option, lol. So most of my studying and work gets done on the weekend unless I have been going out in which case it doesn't get done at all because I'm hungover :D

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Yeah I do about 2.5 hours a day which is why I am so pleased I am only doing 3 days a week. Studying while travelling is impossible, you can do some background reading but that is all.

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
Raven3333 said:
Yeah I do about 2.5 hours a day which is why I am so pleased I am only doing 3 days a week. Studying while travelling is impossible, you can do some background reading but that is all.
yes it is indeed! expecially when your taking the train which is ultra packed in the morning making it impossible to get a seat and read (unless you're a total ass and would not offer your seat to a 60 year old person or a pregnant lady standing beside you) and going home during the peak hours as well. i only do 4 days btw (thankful for that).

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
lol the one thing I'm grateful for about living right on the end of a train line is that I'll always get a seat :uhhuh:

not so much in the afternoon but it empties out about halfway home anyway

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Yeah, it really does get draining. I travel about 4 hours every day, with lots of waiting in between trains/buses as well, and by the time I get home every day all I can be bothered to do is bum around online or watch tv or sleep. I would study while I travel, but I get motion sick, so there goes that option, lol. So most of my studying and work gets done on the weekend unless I have been going out in which case it doesn't get done at all because I'm hungover :D
lol, same here! It takes me 2 hours to get to uni, and another 2 hours to get back home, and i never study when i reach home, unless its a assignment or some shit due the next day. Everything gets postponed to the weekend or on my days off. I go online, watch tv, or sleep when i get home usually. But im just trying to go to bed early these days.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
On a yearly comparison, Uni isn't that time consuming.

A normal semester is about 14 weeks (give and take the 1 week worth of final exams and 1 week of mid-session break respectively)

So on average, for someone who studies 2 semesters, that's a study load of 28 weeks of actual Uni per 52 weeks of the year. Which means almost half the rest of the year (24 weeks) is holidays!

:. less time-consuming than 2 years of on-going studying of the HSC, but comparatively a lot more harder.. and more cramming/stress

antisheep

HSC
But the reason that they do that I think is not only for the academics but because the uni semester has a pace that can't be kept up for much longer than that. I know that during semester I'd be lucky to get to see my friends for like 4 hours a week.

The HSC wasn't all that much work for the majority of the time I thought. It was maybe preparation of an assessment every two or three weeks, but other than that the majority was done in class. What makes uni so time consuming is the fact that it's reversed, the in class element is only half (if you're lucky) of the work that has to be done. Maybe it's cos i slacked off in the HSC and don't anymore, but i don't really think there's any comparison between the two time-wise.

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Yeah my problem is i still go out at least twice a week which makes me feel so shithouse. Best time to study i reckon is to get to uni a couple of hours early and stay for a few hours longer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)