What's necessary from Advanced? (1 Viewer)

viennamotley

HSC
I started 4u this term and want to finish the advanced course over the summer holidays. I'm wondering what topics from advanced I 100% need to know for 3&4u as I want to maximise my time. I know it's good to know everything, but what stuff isn't important (unless it's all important)?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I 5000% endorse the suggestion to look at integration. The MX2 course has a topic on integration which is an extension of earlier work. I found last year that trying to understand MX2 integration while still trying to get comfortable with basic integration needlessly complicates material.

By way if analogy, when you learned trigonometry you started with right angle triangles and SOHCAHTOA. Later, you did angles of any magnitude, and radians, and double angles, etc... Imagine trying to learn that all at once instead of learning basics then extending them once you are comfortable.

I know of several schools that are moving some integration back into year 11 (where it belongs), so that students can learn to deal with polynomials before integrating trig functions or exponentials / logs and then learning substitution. MX2 extends this to reduction formulae, integration by parts, etc, and you don't need to be trying to recall basic facts when doing that, you want those basic facts to be settled.

The Advanced course also has probability and ideas like probability distributions that will be extended in MX1 and which are ideally understood before moving on.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
After integration, rates of change and motion would be handy from the Advanced course to set up some basic groundwork for the Mechanics topic in Ext2.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
I started 4u this term and want to finish the advanced course over the summer holidays. I'm wondering what topics from advanced I 100% need to know for 3&4u as I want to maximise my time. I know it's good to know everything, but what stuff isn't important (unless it's all important)?
Currently I’ve been going ahead and learning Integration as recommended above from others and imo it is probably the best thing to study if you want to work ahead, although my reasoning for doing Integration is more of an add on to the previous reasons above.

1. More personal but I have to use Integration as part of my science extension project (you can ignore this lol)

2.If your school is one to stay on a particular topic without going from one topic to another then returning, then since there’s so much to do for Integration you could basically free up a good 5 or 6 weeks of solid class time (depending on the pace of the school) which you can either spend re-consolidating your understanding of integration during class or get ahead of your peers

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
You have a lot of kids in your class?
Nah like 6, we had 14 but people dropped because majority of the first module was boring as hell or they didn’t want to invest time into a research project taking into consideration their other subjects

Klone

HSC
To be fair tho, that is still a pretty decent amount of kids.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
To be fair tho, that is still a pretty decent amount of kids.
Since we’re talking about science extension 6 is a very decent size considering last year’s cohort at my school only had 3 people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)