what's psychology like? (1 Viewer)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Hey all you mind-bending pschology learner-people-persons!!!

I'm thinking of doing psychology next year, so i just have a couple of questions:

What exactly IS psychology like? What do you do? Is it fun? do you do many experiments on poor little mice? is it mainly "book work"/"theoretical" stuff, or do you do a lot of experiments/pracs? How hard is the course? Do you have to do a lot of essays/papers/thesis's/(or whatever you call them)? And would that entail being good at writing English (school) essays?

And for the honours degree, you do a private research thingo right? What exactly does that entail? Do you have to do that completely on your own? is it hard? how do you decide what your'e going to research?

yeahhhh...... That's kiinda a lot of questions.... well, have fun answering! ^^

stephenchow

HSC
You want to do psychology and you have no idea what you do in psychology

From my experience, first year psychology so far is mainly about theory and some experimental methods most of which is stuff you would have learned if you have done a science subject during year 11 or 12.

Compared to other subjects, psychology isnt that difficult as most of the stuff revolves around stuff you can immediately relate to in real life.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
I had a whole reply written to this thread, about what it has been like for the whole semester I've been there lol.... but I lost the whole thing cos my internet died :(

Psych is fun though, I like it and find it interesting and I also want to help people :)

I might come answer your questions later.... I can't be bothered to retype it all over again :p

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Sprinkles~ said:
I had a whole reply written to this thread, about what it has been like for the whole semester I've been there lol.... but I lost the whole thing cos my internet died :(

Psych is fun though, I like it and find it interesting and I also want to help people :)

I might come answer your questions later.... I can't be bothered to retype it all over again :p
^_^ Thanks for the effort of trying to answer my enormous multitude of questions! if i saw all my questions, i would have fun away screaming. =P Yeah, i know how sucky the internet can be.... especially where i live. TT_TT

Anyhoo. You know how sometimes they have those shows on tv that are all about the human mind/behaviour (like, studies on childrens' behaviour in certain situations, etc, etc)? Well, i was wondering whether, if i become a registered psychologist, would i be doing studies/research like that? Or would my job be mainly just counselling people and stuff?

And also, if i can do research/studies, then can that include animal research (eg. animal behaviour)? Or am i stuck studying people?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)