What's so good about med? (1 Viewer)

beentherdunthat

HSC
artist91 said:
Nothing. Who wants to surround themselves with sick people their entire lives? Ew. Not my idea of a great way to spend your days.
lol its called SACRIFICE

undalay

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
like what? name something

i can't understand these guys: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=182456

if something's gonna take up about half ur waking hours for most of the rest of ur life u'd think u'd pick something interesting/worthwhile, lol
police officers, politicians, scientists?

and to be fair;

A rich person has more power to change lives than a doctor.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
undalay said:
police officers, politicians, scientists?

and to be fair;

A rich person has more power to change lives than a doctor.
hahahah medicine doesnt limit you to be a medical practitioner.. u could be a politician or a scientist if u wanted... guys in med have security licenses too

head of the opposition.. brendon nelson... is a GP.. so hes a politician..

Professor Ian Frazer who headed the team that developed the gardasil vaccine is a medical practitioner.. and a scientist

Karl Kruszelnicki is a medical graduate.. and a physicist/educator/radio journalist?

Radovan Karadzic is a war criminal and a medical practitioner... psychiatrist

I know of portfolio managers with a MBBS
http://www.macquarie.com.au/emg/mq/investor_centre/investor_centre/portfolio_managers.htm

management consultants too..

lots of ppl have them as general degrees.. its like law degrees they are just useful.. esp if someone gets sick :)

in terms of money its not much.. but i am happy from it.

undalay

HSC
Sorry i am talking only specifically abotu medical practioners.
Because frankly, if u wanted to a politician, you would have studied a different degree.
Because randomly ending up in a different career rather than a medical practioner is not unique to the MBBS, and imo should be disregarded.

Furthermore to charity F;
Ofcourse theres a difference.
I'm saying if your "goal in life" is to help other people.
It's better to be rich and donate money, then a doctor.

From my completely uneducated point of view i believe doctors dont really save many lives.
What % of medical patients have their lives "saved" by a doctor.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Cookie182 said:
Do u play slap much KFunk? And what kinda bass do you have? I just recently picked up a Cort Artisan A4, very nice tone...although i wish i was better. Main influences are like Flea, Les Claypool, Wooten...
Haha, yeah, I went through a slap bass phase. Flea, Claypool and Wooten are fantastic players. You've probably come across them already, but if you dig slap-style playing you should check out Mark King (from level 42 - in particular the instrumental 'Mr pink' which is a lot of fun to learn) and Larry Graham. And while it is a tough competition, my favorite bass player is probably Meshell Ndegeocello (she has a phenomenal sense of groove).

Bass-wise my main axe is a 5-string (Ernie Ball) Musicman Stingray. Unfortunately the busy nature of this year has meant that I haven't been able to play that much. Alas!

P.S. Apologies for the thread spam... but, you know, basses are important.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
undalay said:
From my completely uneducated point of view i believe doctors dont really save many lives.
What % of medical patients have their lives "saved" by a doctor.
Has anyone in the house survived a premature birth, meningitis, pneumonia, internal haemorrhage, thalassaemia major, status asthmaticus, anaphylactic shock, acute epiglottitis, etc... etc..?

(and yes po1nty, I'm in a paeds-oriented head space at the moment)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
KFunk said:
Has anyone in the house survived a premature birth, meningitis, pneumonia, internal haemorrhage, thalassaemia major, status asthmaticus, anaphylactic shock, acute epiglottitis, etc... etc..?

(and yes po1nty, I'm in a paeds-oriented head space at the moment)
heheheh :)

"cure rarely, relieve pain sometimes and reassure always".. is really what medicine is all about.

its not about 'saving'.. im more inclined to believe its to improve quality of life... (Kfunk.. yes..im in OSCE/finals mode..)

although the relative improvements of a medical practitioner or nurse versus non-medical in CPR on the street is about 500% better. (conducted in japan)

undalay

HSC
Im on the assumption that a medical scientist is different from a medical practitioner.

I just want to point out that doctors merely apply what others have already developed.

Furthermore I am inclined to believed the lives saved or the quality of lives improved would be less compared other professions.

However I feel we are somewhat straying from the issue at hand.
I am not optimistic enough to believe that the large following behind doing a MBBS is because people want to help others.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
undalay said:
I just want to point out that doctors merely apply what others have already developed.
For sure, it doesn't count unless you create the surgical technique yourself.

undalay

HSC
I am merely emphasising the idea that if a scientist developed a vaccine, it would save more lives that merely a doctor applying said vaccine.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
undalay said:
Furthermore I am inclined to believed the lives saved or the quality of lives improved would be less compared other professions.
Public health is where the big changes are at.

Also, it's not a matter of adjusting one's career path so that the maximum number of lives are saved. No human (that I know) is so simplistic. It's a balance of interest, opportunity, desire for comfortable living, altruism, selfishness and everything in between (or under the sun, perhaps).

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to argue?

doopsta786

HSC
i guess its good for different reasons but for me i want to do it for reasons that are more personal and yerrr i hope too get there even though there is alot of competition

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
undalay said:
Im on the assumption that a medical scientist is different from a medical practitioner.
yeah you need board accreditation to be a practitioner.. MBBS is kinda like a BAppSc (Med Sc) or a masters eqv... i know cos at job interviews thats how you get ranked :)

undalay said:
yes they do.. usually they develop on work by other medical practitioners..
like engineers are the munchkins of science... if u really want to start.. medics are frontline and they stratify the patients to patients

undalay said:
its more direct... than say the engineer that implemented the airbags at volvo..

undalay said:
However I feel we are somewhat straying from the issue at hand.
I am not optimistic enough to believe that the large following behind doing a MBBS is because people want to help others.
I suspect that you were not convinced of the benefits to start with and would remain stoic to the suggestion we might make a difference.. I know the teams i worked with have and the audits I have done show that medical/nursing/pharmacy professions do help.

*shrug* but does it matter if you arent convinced? probably not.. cos i have to live this career not you :) you only need to see them if you have a sickie, or get a cold, or find out you have a illness that requires medication.

undalay

HSC
There is no argument, I was just got a bit sidetracked/annoyed at those self righteous people who believed helping people was the main attraction of medicine.

Personally I don't have anything against medicine, although I may come across as otherwise. I see it as a degree with stable prospects, intellectually stimulating, and good pay. Ofcourse I also see negatives.

However the thing I want to understand, is how medicine came about to become so hyped.

For example my aZN parents find medicine attractive only because of the pay and prestige. When other degrees offer greater financial opportunities.

Alot of friends of mine, also want to do medicine, however I do not really see a rational motive behind this (as far as they can explain).

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Depends what you mean though

about 80% (if you can quantify it) of our increased lifespan since pre-industrial times is due to engineers separating where we drink from where we go to the toilet and giving us more food

medicine is just "icing on the cake" of modern life if you like

but right now doctors are doing more to help individuals on a daily basis than any other profession can, as individuals

also the people you call self-righteous might actually have been passionate about [wanting to do] med and not necessarily brainwashed azns, that's an assumption, or projection (lol) on your part

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
undalay said:
There is no argument, I was just got a bit sidetracked/annoyed at those self righteous people who believed helping people was the main attraction of medicine.

Personally I don't have anything against medicine, although I may come across as otherwise. I see it as a degree with stable prospects, intellectually stimulating, and good pay. Ofcourse I also see negatives.

However the thing I want to understand, is how medicine came about to become so hyped.

For example my aZN parents find medicine attractive only because of the pay and prestige. When other degrees offer greater financial opportunities.

Alot of friends of mine, also want to do medicine, however I do not really see a rational motive behind this (as far as they can explain).
Well in a previous era they were seen as learned persons and government sanctioned to 'heal'... you could touch and see things which others couldnt.. they were privileged. It is a career where you can earn honestly from others misfortunes without society calling you a thief or an 'ambulance chaser'.

there is a perception that one has secrets and their will not to divulge them to a 3rd party is seen as honorable.. like who has HIV or syphillis or things like glandular

I just feel its an honest career where you can make people happier most of the time.. especially when you see their anxiety.. and at the end of the day you get to go to a home you own.

with the "positives" there are always "negative" but these are things you cope with.. my commerce mates have never seen a 36 hrs as a student in a week let alone straight.. its hard work but its worthwhile..

personally im into clinical vaccine research at usyd so thats why i dun see having a medical degree is different from a medical science one..(cos the first 3 years are the same and im eligible for the same programs as a MedSc graduate).. i just test the vaccines.. its one thing to work on paper.. its another thing in the person

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
about 80% (if you can quantify it) of our increased lifespan since pre-industrial times is due to engineers separating where we drink from where we go to the toilet and giving us more food
based on the germ theory.. which was confirmed and propagated by Koch (medical practitioner), Pasteur (chemist and physicist) and Nightingale (nurse)

I think we all like to think one career is better at saving lives but realli its a team effort..

like i cant get half my work done if the nurses werent so good and some helped trained me.. and in 1.2yrs time when im prescribing.. i have to make sure i remember to write the note for the pharmacist to double check and dispense so the nurse can administer...

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
lol if this thread question's doc's ability to help people...what hope is their for us lawyers in believing our motives are altruistic and righteous?

IMO people love running doc's to the ground...9 times out of 10 in my own experience these people suffer from some kind of underlying jealousy. This probably stems from the importance of the doc's position in the community, the percieved the money etc. Its very easy to have a go at them, until you learn you have a brain aneurysm- then they become your best friend.

Personally, I have the upmost respect for anyone who can dedicate themselves to that many years of training. Last time I checked it nearly took 12-14 years to be a neurosurgeon :)

*More addressed to POiNt, you said the money is only ok. I was under the impression doc's earned the most out of all the professions. Would a doc earn on average more then a commerce/law grad or an engineer (obviously these careers vary a lot more in terms of pay, but still?)

Not that money matters much to me at all, as long as i can get enough capital to start some property investment i'll be happy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)