What's SOR I like? (1 Viewer)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I'm just happy that for the first time we get to learn about other religions instead of teachers only mentioning it :)

cheepy5

HSC
Content:
Its not so bad in Prelim but there is alot of content to cover for a short amount of time.

Workload:
Not much for me, depends on your school and teacher but you'll be rushing to finish the course towards the end.

Interesting:
The in dept religious studies can be kinda interesting particularly Islam.
Prelim is boring where HSC is a bit more interesting but the first modules are very boring
But interest really depends on yourself,

Essays:
Easy in prelim
Harder in HSC

I reckon the problem wif SOR I is that you are doing about 2/3 of the SOR II course in about less than 1/2 the class time.
So depending on your units and timetable it would probably be better to do SOR II.

cheepy5

HSC
So does it involve memorising their beliefs, history of the religion, is there essay writing?
not exactly essay writing but an extended response in SOR exams is always asked.

In prelim you'll cover the core beliefs, and a little on the history.
In HSC you'll link these beliefs to practices, ethics and a significant person ect.

Last edited:

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
I went to a catholic school and this subject was my extra unit. I spent maybe forty hours on this subject outside of class during the entire HSC. About half of that was over three days during the HSC study period. I got 46/50 IIRC.

Content - Extremely easy.
Workload - Non-existent.
Interesting - Yeah, it strengthened my conviction that Islam and Christianity are completely retarded.
Essays - Written & memorized the night before.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
The content is relatively straight forward, basic rote learning stuff. There's not a lot of it either. For this reason many of the examinations recycle a lot of questions.
Workload is very small for me, I feel that we cover everything in class to a sufficient level that we hardly have homework or need to study so much.
Some parts are interesting; the depth studies were quite informative, but all of those general topics like Religion in Post-1945 Australia and Aboriginal Spirituality were quite bland. I don't know, maybe that's just me.
Essay questions can look bad occasionally, but generally they can be manipulated very easily to suit pre-prepared responses.

It's quite an easy subject overall. If you are a capable student than the only real challenge you could face with SOR is overcoming complacency.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)