What's studying engineering like? (2 Viewers)

D94

HSC
N/A
thank you all for the responses so far ^^
i haven't figured out the quoting system yet so...
@parvee + @annundies 20-25 hours seems like a lot (i'm not sure though because i've no experience) is there a lot of study to do at home on top of that? i wonder if it's possible to balance a part time job :s
@D94 i did engineering for hsc and enjoyed that a lot - i'm not sure how relevant that is ahahs. i'm thinking about going into civil engineering
@zohair97 people keep saying that there is a lot of math involved but they dont say how much - for hsc i was doing about 10 hours/wk of math for school and tutor (and then about an hour or two per day for study) - is it a lot more than that?
oh, and if you do a double degree - is that twice the amount of work and contact hours (sorry i have no idea)
The main reason why students can't manage a part time job is the randomness of class times. 18-25 hours is typical but it's not as if you have say 7 hours straight per day. You could start at 9am and finish at 6pm one day, but have maybe a 3 hour break in between. Or you could start at 12pm and finish at 4pm with no breaks etc. It will depend on that part time job and how flexible your employer is.

Engineering Studies is actually quite similar to first year engineering so enjoying that is good. Pretty much every subject is maths based. It's quite hard to quantify it because how much work you do is completely up to you. You can decide to do one question per week or 20 questions per week. It's your choice. It isn't overwhelming though and that usually isn't a concern among first year students after they realise that. There are a few content based courses in Civil Eng but the majority are maths based. When I say maths based, I mean there's theory and content but you will be examined through problems that require maths.

Workload and hours are course/subject dependent, so you do not do twice the amount of work and hours because you do not do twice the number of courses/subjects per semester. Typically, students do 4 courses per semester, but you can do 3 or you can do more than 4 - that will obviously affect when you might graduate, but there is some flexibility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)