What's the benefit of a selective school? (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I know dem feels, my school was ranked like 390ish until my year (low 100s).

That sucks for people who only apply themselves in the hsc. I didn't do much 7-10 but i pulled my finger out during year 11 & 12 and achieved an atar better than all of these "top students" bar one. They didn't let me do advanced english which significantly impacted me but ah well.
Pulled finger out. Hehe huehue

enoilgam

HSC
The advantages are more subjective than objective. Some people seem to think that selective school students get "scaled up", but in truth, this is really situational and doesnt have that much of an impact. The subjective benefit of a selective school is that the competition and environment motivates people to do better. However, that isnt true of all students - for me, I never excel in that type of environment, I perform much better in a chill environment (not too mention I'm a million times happier). I choose my local HS over a mid-tier selective school, mainly to be with my friends and because I liked the school. I'm in my early 20s now and those people are still my friends - looking back, it was definitely the right choice for me because I was happy and that kept me motivated. Even if I could have got 2-3 ATAR points higher at a selective school, it wouldnt have been worth it for me (to be honest, I dont think I would have done better elsewhere anyway).

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
^ This.

A school with a good academic reputation wants to maintain that reputation, and so they continually enforce the idea of achieving high marks to their students. However, I don't believe that the quality of teachers play a significant role in how well the cohort does. I go to a top 5 selective school and we have some pretty shit teachers.

Essentially, the high academic bar that a selective school sets motivates you to do better whilst your marks are bolstered by those of your peers. Going to a comprehensive high school decreases the chance of getting a good ATAR, but it is most definitely doable if you put in the effort and get good rankings.
All teachers are pretty useless at their jobs to be honest, you'll only see a few who has a passion and methods to actually teach a student. - and thats why we have tutors :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)