• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

whats the best way to study? (1 Viewer)

tayfitz

HSC
i know like going over your study notes and doing past papers
anything else thats worked for other people?
any eccentric techniques?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: whats the best way to study?

past papers

bored of sc

HSC
It definitely differs from person to person.

Here's some methods:
> http://www.answers.com/mnemonic&r=67
> Acronyms.
> Making notes as short and succinct as POSSIBLE.
> Looking at a syllabus dot-point and writing down everything you know from it in a time-limit.
> Typing notes and writing them out again.
> Post-it notes on the walls.
> Verbal discussions (you need someone to ask you a question and then you talk to them, EXPLAINING your answer).
> Doing past papers, under EXAM conditions and getting your teacher to mark it and to give feedback. This is important for EXAM TECHNIQUE.
> Reading. Reading. Reading.
> For questions with calculations etc (if applicable to you) physically write down in red pen in block letters the silly-mistakes you tend to make next to where you make them (if applicable :p).
> Re-reading english texts.

The best piece of advice I can give is TRYING to relate the content and skills to YOUR LIFE. See where it applies to your life journey and make it interesting! I know for a fact the english texts contain themes SO applicable to today's society (e.g. racism, sexism, human-nature, religion etc etc).

And in the end, moderating yourself. Going overboard tends to make people burnt out.

Continue to work hard, but reward yourself for doing so. Don't stop those little natural highs (e.g. that weekly chocolate bar or that daily myspace view (haha)) just cause you feel guilty you may not feel as if you've studied enough for the HSC. The HSC is a MEANS, not the end.

Last edited:

munchiecrunchie

HSC
record your voice saying important bits to study (eg maths formulas) and listen to it in your spare time.

stick up your notes onto the shower screen and say them out loud whilst in the shower.

**Cherri~BomB**

HSC
every1 tells me to write short and succinct notes but won't there b problems when u need to write an essay if ur notes lack detail???
haha wats worse is that i didn't actually make my notes they were given to me, would that make much difference as long as i understand it?

Alvik

HSC
Make a summary of those summaries.

You're already behind on memorising them because you haven't looked up the info yourself.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: whats the best way to study?

**Cherri~BomB** said:
every1 tells me to write short and succinct notes but won't there b problems when u need to write an essay if ur notes lack detail???
haha wats worse is that i didn't actually make my notes they were given to me, would that make much difference as long as i understand it?
Your notes should be short as to avoid remembering bulks of information which can lead to rote-learn answers which then results in sometimes not being able to answer the question at hand.

You should have the essential information, and craft that information information to answer the question given.

HSC
During the HSC I completed past papers since they give you a feel of what the actual paper will be set out you expect it thus making you feel more at ease during the actual exam but it is also good to go over the stuff, I thought (IMO) making notes AGAIN was a waste of time (I trialled the method in my trials..didn't go too well) because you end up just mechanically writing them out in this zombie state and not taking it in, reading through textbooks and etc helped enough.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
haiironotenshi said:
During the HSC I completed past papers since they give you a feel of what the actual paper will be set out you expect it thus making you feel more at ease during the actual exam but it is also good to go over the stuff, I thought (IMO) making notes AGAIN was a waste of time (I trialled the method in my trials..didn't go too well) because you end up just mechanically writing them out in this zombie state and not taking it in, reading through textbooks and etc helped enough.
Truth.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
When I make notes, I make once. But I make sure the notes are the best quality possible. I write them once and I move on to the practice questions to test my skills. If I didn't know something in practice question, I go back to my notes and put additional stuff or read the note once more.

Writing more than twice sounds like a waste of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)