What's the deal with Arts? (1 Viewer)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't let the arts bashing get you down, you have to take what you read on these forums with a grain of salt. It's that time of the year where every HSC student and his pet emu all of a sudden become an expert on tertiary education and employment.
I want a pet emu!

Tbh from what I have read it seems that people are still encouraging students to do a double degree with arts or do arts initially then transfer into something else after you figure out what you want to do, so it still seems like the general consensus is that arts is a relatively useless degree (although some people are just not as direct as "Arts is useless").

Yeah I agree with this. I know someone who did an engineering degree/science degree, had a distinction average and took 9 months to get a job, and that wasn't because they were being picky.
Were they looking more towards the science side of things or engineering? If science, then it seems about right (science in Aus isn't great). If engineering, maybe it was in an industry that's quite small. It's not awfully hard to get a job in the engineering side of things (from what I hear).

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
Arts 4 life.

Its also about being strategic with your majors and honours. In my case if you wanted to work in infrastructure policy then you might want to major in government/IR and write a thesis on infrastructure which you could sell to your employer. Degrees =/= automatic jobs.

If you wanted to do English then sure. Do it, and write a thesis on a topic that can relate in PR or something. Maybe do the 3y degree and do a 2y masters (which I kinda wouldn't do but your choice).

Also, life isn't all about $$ do something you like and figure how to monetize it.

Last edited:

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
or just become the arts student that does law later on.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
or just become the arts student that does law later on.
Arts was three wasted years, looking back, I should have actually put in half the effort I do now in year 12... Would have made life a hell of a lot more easier... Double degree it instead... Would have got back at least one of those wasted years... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)