• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What's the difference between Biopol, PHA and PHB? (1 Viewer)

xxAkiko

HSC
N/A
Are they the same thing?
What's the difference between them??
It's so confusing...and can't find enough information about them... Orz

Thanks in advance~

Rawf

HSC

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
From memory you only need to be able to recall one biopolymer, I did PHB in class. Personally If the dotpoint only says you need to know one knowing more just clutters you mind imo. Unless you find the comcept of bio-polymers utterly captivating then have at it I suppose.

xxAkiko

HSC
N/A
Biopol is a comerically produced biopolymer made from a mix of PHB and PHV.
PHB is poly-3-hydroxybutyrate and PHA is a polyhydroxyalkanoate
Tbh, I don't know the real difference.. between PHB and PHA, according to wiki PHB is a type of PHA? lol idk:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyhydroxyalkanoates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyhydroxybutyrate

In the exam, I usually just write about the manufacturing of 'PHB' - just the alcaligenes eutrophus stuff etc etc
ohh I see~ :) It makes sense now
The problem is my teacher said she isn't going to give us any info on this, and we have to do all the research on our own...that's why I'm so confused about all these :p

xxAkiko

HSC
N/A
Teacher told us to know about Biopol...but PHB and PHA kept popping up everywhere when I'm researching about it
And no...I don't really find it captivating, it's all seems too confusing for me right now :p

Maybe I'll just do PHB instead, seems like there's much more info about it compared to Biopol :)

Rawf

HSC
Teacher told us to know about Biopol...but PHB and PHA kept popping up everywhere when I'm researching about it
And no...I don't really find it captivating, it's all seems too confusing for me right now :p

Maybe I'll just do PHB instead, seems like there's much more info about it compared to Biopol :)
Lol dw, in all reality they're almost all produced in the same way. And I don't think the markers will really care as the products are very similar.
I just found this in my notes "biopol is a PHA consisting of phb and phv" - so yeah they're basically all linked.
My school teacher called it PHA in her notes but my chemistry tutor named it PHB in his and the methods they gave me are exactly the same.
I guess you can do biopol and talk about the production of phb but you should mention phv somewhere in there too. Doing PHB alone should be easier though, lol as long as you have "alcaligenes eutrophus" somewhere in your answer you should get the marks.
And you have to do your own research? Man that sucks.. my teacher and tutor basically spoon feeds us with info haha. If you want I can pm you my notes on it sometime tomorrow.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
PHB is a type of PHA.

PHB=Poly(hydroxybutanoate)
PHA=Poly(hydroxyalkanoate)

PHB is like, a part of the PHA family...I guess you could call it.

BioPol is just the commercial name for PHB.

Last edited:

xxAkiko

HSC
N/A
Lol dw, in all reality they're almost all produced in the same way. And I don't think the markers will really care as the products are very similar.
I just found this in my notes "biopol is a PHA consisting of phb and phv" - so yeah they're basically all linked.
My school teacher called it PHA in her notes but my chemistry tutor named it PHB in his and the methods they gave me are exactly the same.
I guess you can do biopol and talk about the production of phb but you should mention phv somewhere in there too. Doing PHB alone should be easier though, lol as long as you have "alcaligenes eutrophus" somewhere in your answer you should get the marks.
And you have to do your own research? Man that sucks.. my teacher and tutor basically spoon feeds us with info haha. If you want I can pm you my notes on it sometime tomorrow.
Ohh so it's a type of PHA made from PHB, that makes sense :)
My tutor told me today that Biopol is PHB...so even the teachers are confused about it lol

Can you PM me the notes? I would really appreciate it ^^

xxAkiko

HSC
N/A
PHB is a type of PHA.

PHB=Poly(hydroxybutanoate)
PHA=Poly(hydroxyalkanoate)

PHB is like, a part of the PHA family...I guess you could call it.

BioPol is just the commercial name for PHB/PHV mixture.
Woah...such a complicated link between them O.O
I think I kind of get it now ^^ Thank you~~

Rawf

HSC
Ohh so it's a type of PHA made from PHB, that makes sense :)
My tutor told me today that Biopol is PHB...so even the teachers are confused about it lol

Can you PM me the notes? I would really appreciate it ^^
Sent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)