What's the difference between Describe and Explain in ALARM (1 Viewer)

HSC
I was actually writing this exam and of course if you're in year 11 they basically try to torture you in essay writing with introduction of these formats etc.

A question I would like to ask is what is the difference between Describe and Explain?

Seriously

These two words literally mean the same thing

Like imagine someone told you, in a hypothetical of course: "ALARM: Outline how your dad plays an important role in your life"

Okay, so the content will be let's say your dad plays with you

In the describe you say, "He swings me around, pushes me off the slide in our backyard"

Now how do you 'explain' it?

Do you say, "Basically what he does is he grabs my butt with his two palms and touches my back, then you pushed me off but gently so I don't hurt my head"

Aren't they the same thing? What is the difference between the two? Plus keep in mind I wrote this in a few words, in an essay there are a number of words you MUST WRITE.

It's kind of like you did something wrong and they say, "Explain yourself" the two are literally interlinked what's the point?

When you explain you give a description at some point, if you describe you are explaining..

What is this bullshit? I really don't get it give me your sample essays in the messages ( after pointing your mouse at my name click Start conversation) good students so I can at least look at them see what you've done, I request you to explain what you did in your essay, all conversations would remain confidential.

Last edited:

dav53521

HSC
I was actually writing this exam and of course if you're in year 11 they basically try to torture you in essay writing with introduction of these formats etc.

A question I would like to ask is what is the difference between Describe and Evaluate?

Seriously

These two words literally mean the same thing

Like imagine someone told you, in a hypothetical of course: "ALARM: Outline how your dad plays an important role in your life"

Okay, so the content will be let's say your dad plays with you

In the describe you say, "He swings me around, pushes me off the slide in our backyard"

Now how do you 'explain' it?

Do you say, "Basically what he does is he grabs my butt with his two palms and touches my back, then you pushed me off but gently so I don't hurt my head"

Aren't they the same thing? What is the difference between the two? Plus keep in mind I wrote this in a few words, in an essay there are a number of words you MUST WRITE.

It's kind of like you did something wrong and they say, "Explain yourself" the two are literally interlinked what's the point?

When you explain you give a description at some point, if you describe you are explaining..

What is this bullshit? I really don't get it give me your sample essays in the messages ( after pointing your mouse at my name click Start conversation) good students so I can at least look at them see what you've done, I request you to explain what you did in your essay, all conversations would remain confidential.
According to NESA's glossary of key words, Describe is "Provide characteristics and features" and Evaluate is "Make a judgement based on criteria; determine the value of". So the difference between the two key words is that if you are asked to describe you need to write the characteristics and features of whatever you're writing about so that is writing down something in detail, while evaluate is use a criteria and based off that criteria determine how much value something has.

HSC
According to NESA's glossary of key words, Describe is "Provide characteristics and features" and Evaluate is "Make a judgement based on criteria; determine the value of". So the difference between the two key words is that if you are asked to describe you need to write the characteristics and features of whatever you're writing about so that is writing down something in detail, while evaluate is use a criteria and based off that criteria determine how much value something has.
sorry I meant explain

moonsuyoung

HSC
Describe is more like providing its characteristics while explain is provided cause and effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)