What's the difference between Mathematics and Advanced Mathematics? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm really interested in getting into maths in Uni, but what's the difference between these two? Is the content majorly different?

I was tossing between doing a maths degree (because im really interested in it) or civil engineering (because the only job i could see that you could do with a maths degree was a maths teacher and im not sure if i really want to do that, and a friend of mine said that it has maths in it and is pretty cool itself). So I decided to go for a double degree for both. However, I found out that you can't do a Bachelor of Advanced Mathematics with the civil engineering course, only normal maths. I was just wondering if the courses are different from each other in terms of content or how in depth you get into maths. If it gets in depth into maths alot more/is more interesting, etc., i might reconsider the double degree, so..?

Sorry if the question is really dumb.

What do you guys think?

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
Advanced Science (which includes Mathematics therefore hence "Adv. Maths") has a compulsory Honours year. Otherwise its just a normal Science degree.

There are also many options for someone with a degree in maths due to the pure quantitative and problem solving nature of the course. There's also courses that are related to Finance which is an industry you could get into.

A lot of companies these days hire candidates with various degrees so really as long as you have a "degree" and are a well rounded person you can do anything.

HSC
Advanced Science (which includes Mathematics therefore hence "Adv. Maths") has a compulsory Honours year. Otherwise its just a normal Science degree.
Note that this information is specific to certain universities.

For example USYD's B Sc (Adv Maths) does NOT have a compulsory honours year.

HSC
Its just a name. For the 'ADV' course you need a specific amount of 2nd and 3rd year ADV units.

For a normal B Sc. you just need to take a major of mathematics, which is 24 credit points of 3rd year maths, of which some or none are ADV.

lawstu

HSC
So what would be the difference between normal maths and adv. maths in USYD?
Last I remember Adv. Maths is accelerated and more rigorous. You may also do Hons. and grad units in your first three years.

Of course, Adv. Maths also means you must do a number of advanced units, whereas you may do advanced units in a B.Sc. in Maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)