What's the difference between Permutations and Combinations? (1 Viewer)

cranberries

show Pony
HSC
N/A
I cannot understand the difference! Well, I do sort of, like I read the definitions and it says P are ordered selections and C are unordered. But I never know when to use them, because I don't really understand what they mean

Can anyone help? Like, when it's dice or cards or seating- how do you know which to use?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Permutations order matters.

For example if you want to know how many ways can people line up then you have a permutation because Bill, Jane, Fred is different from Jane, Fred, Bill.

Combinations order doesn't matter.

For example a committe of Bill, Fred and Jane is the same as a committe of Jane, Fred and Bill.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
yup, as xayma said, perms are wen order matters such as the number of arrangments of letters from a word, whereas combinations are commitee style questions, the lame but affective way our teacher tought us to tell the difference is that "wen ya go 2 the hairdressers, u gotta order if ya wanna buy a comb, u dont", lame, but affective, gud luck
-dawso

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Is that meant to be something like "If you want a perm at the hairdressers, you have to order, fi you want a comb, you don't"? It took me about a minute to make sense of it.

Personally I think remembering "permutation=ordered, combination=unordered"

Also, a combination is the permutation on r!, or (n!/(n-r)!)/r!, which is n!/[r!(n-r)!].

Um. Here is a lame example: I recently made a poll in the School forum which had options in groups of two universities. Eg: a is a univeristy, B is another: one option was AB. Now, there are 23 universities in Australia, I think, and we are taking them TWO at a time. The amount of possible permutations is then 23^P_2, or 23!/(23-2)!=22*23=506. HOWEVER, order doesn't matter. Here, the combination (uni A, uni B) is exactly the same as the combination (uni B, uni A). So we must divide our number of permutations by r!, which is 2!, or 2. Thus the answer is 253.

We could skip the permutation step and do this: 23^C_2,
23!/(2*21!)=23*22/2=11*23=253.

Sorry. I did that ebcause I think comittee and people questions are boring.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
This is just repeating what the others have said, but it helped me to remember which was which.
permutations- order is important
combinations- you don't give a crap about order

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
yes slide rule, thats wat i meant, lol, my bad, i just read wat i said and it makes no sense, thats wat ya get wen ur chattin on msn and tryin 2 write up a post at the same time, oh well, hope this post makes sense, u all got the message anyway
-dawso

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
This is just repeating what the others have said, but it helped me to remember which was which.
permutations- order is important
combinations- you don't give a crap about order
Perm/Comb in general are crap

S

Shuter

Is it really that hard to remember: Permutation = order, Combination = unordered. I didn't think it needed ryhmes to help you remember. I mean it's 4 terms, even a monkey can remember 4 terms.*

*May not be a true statistic.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah but when you combine that with other stuff you need to know, and multiply that by a few subjects, it gets a bit tricky for some people...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)