Whats the enivironment like? (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Lundy said:
I'm not emo.

Many of the asians at unsw were born here. Or have at least lived here for a long time. So I consider them to be just as aussie as I am.

It's the international students who walk around in their large groups babbling away obnoxiously in their own languages who I have low tolerance for. A lot of these people who are living and studying in our country can barely speak a word of english and don't seem to make much attempt to fraternise outside their little microcosm.
At ANU the east asians have their own off-campus college. The funny thing is, I've found that S.E. asians are generally MUCH friendlier than the Chinese international students.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
They're not communist.
Which makes what they do, late at night, at Fenner college even more of a mystery.

Razengen

RaVeR MeMbEr
HSC
Is there a Raving Society ? where all the peaking ravers join and talk about up comming Raves ?... since UNSW is full of AzN.... im hoping there will be one....

Razengen

RaVeR MeMbEr
HSC
ahaha LOl... yea i guess what your saying is partly true... but im a raver.... i got into UNI... i need to start making new smarter friends who can help me in my studies.... what about a GET MASSIVE Society ?... is there like a group of Gym Junkies who help each other get massive ?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
There is a gym, but no society.

If you really think your stupid idea appeals to enough people, round up 15 people and you can start a club and get funding for it.

In conclusion, if you're stupid enough to care about the racial make-up of your university then you shouldn't be going to one.

Also, if you're stupid enough to go take drugs at a rave, I hope evolution wipes you out.

Razengen

RaVeR MeMbEr
HSC
ahahahaha..... lol obviously your against drugs and raves..... but its ok... i guess UNi isnt a place for this sort of stuff anyway.... ohh well guess i'll join some other society then.... ohh yea.. when you do join a society... is there compulsory attendance... e.g. volleyball.... do you gotta attend practice or somethign every week ?..... and what if you wanna play a sport for the UNI competitivly... like represent it in Local Competitions ... do you do that through your society.. or is that a totally different thing ?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
When we talk about 'societies', it's mainly social stuff, like Anime Club, Gamers, stuff like that.

If you want to learn more about sport, see the website www.sport.unsw.edu.au

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
if you do law, then it's probably a very balanced mix...

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
definately should not be a consideration when choosing which uni to goto. as most ppl above pretty much stated, the majority of asians at unsw were born in Aus or have lived here a fair amount of time thus are Aussies considering most ppl immigrate here and are friendly, sociable etc etc.

international students... the odd occassions ive talked to a few nice ones (yes! in English!!), but sadly its a rarity. basically if you see someone with mutli-coloured stockings and attachments to the end of their phone that are bigger than their phone itself, its best to play it safe and head to the english side of the lecture/tutorial theatre/room.

environment? walk around campus (obviously not during hols..) and you may feel its totally... well fobby. but in reality it aint that bad, i think commerce is like 1/3 intl students? so yea, on the whole the majority of students are like any local students youd find at any uni

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah there are a lot of internationals in commerce. Probably more so than any other faculty. I recall one legal tutorial I was in, out of about 25 students, only myself and another girl were born in Australia

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
international students... the odd occassions ive talked to a few nice ones (yes! in English!!), but sadly its a rarity. basically if you see someone with mutli-coloured stockings and attachments to the end of their phone that are bigger than their phone itself, its best to play it safe and head to the english side of the lecture/tutorial theatre/room.
Whoa this thread was informative, haha amusing as well with Sharp's comments, lmao.

Though its just soo weird probably, on that first day of uni. Its probably as strange as our first days at high school.

elfm

HSC
Rekkusu said:
Whoa this thread was informative, haha amusing as well with Sharp's comments, lmao.

Though its just soo weird probably, on that first day of uni. Its probably as strange as our first days at high school.
it's always sooo much better if you know someone in your course by/on the first day. i don't exactly remember my first day but it must've been pretty cool :)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I can imagine it'd be pretty intimidating there on your first day all by yourself. I was lucky in that I knew someone in the very first class I had on my timetable.

But it's not all that bad. Hundreds and hundreds of other people there are in the same boat.

gman03

HSC
During O-Week I forced myself to know at least a new friend. He was a sri-lankan. He accepted me being his friend (sort-of). It was the one most fortunate event happened. However he shared no more than 50% of my classes, so most of the time I attended lecture alone.... :'( It was not until semester 2 that I met more people, mainly because of my participation in WebCT. I was known to "that guy". What an achievement.

jonathan__

HSC
Yeh I'm with Razengen...there need to be societies for raving and dance parties. The ppl doing law in 06 better not be all bookworms...

dissipate

HSC
N/A
nternational students... the odd occassions ive talked to a few nice ones (yes! in English!!), but sadly its a rarity. basically if you see someone with mutli-coloured stockings and attachments to the end of their phone that are bigger than their phone itself, its best to play it safe and head to the english side of the lecture/tutorial theatre/room.
well perhaps if the locals made more effort to get to know international students, they'd discover that international students aren't as bad as they made them out to be.

imagine yourself going to a foreign country on your own where the majority of people don't speak your first language. one way to handle homesickness would be to hang out with other people from the same country or who speak the same language.

if locals stick to the english side of rooms, then they themselves are doing what they accuse international students of doing - keeping to their own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)