Whats the hope for people to get around ATAR 30? There should be some way for them. (1 Viewer)

sachu

HSC
I wonder..what would happen for those who got around 30ish.....cuz sadly two of the people I know did and they are severe depression. I feel for them and just wish I had something I could suggest them to. And TAFE doesn't run in their family as it would just be extra year lost..you better be off doing HSC again. BTW, they want to do any science courses and get into UNI somehow......may be via private colleges..and through to 2nd year Uni entry??

Help guys...

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Re: Whats the hope for people to get around ATAR 30? There should be some way for the

30-ish is very low to be considering university. Do they realistically think that they could improve enough to get them to a stage comparable to ATAR 70-80 applicants?

HSC
Re: Whats the hope for people to get around ATAR 30? There should be some way for the

see whether they're eligible for UWS College

sachu

HSC

30-ish is very low to be considering university. Do they realistically think that they could improve enough to get them to a stage comparable to ATAR 70-80 applicants?
With what they've told me...they're willing to undertake whatever it takes for them...to get into Uni..I suggested them colleges...where don't need an ATAR...they actually look at ur first yr performance..and if they see u r good....u will get 2nd yr entry into UWS..

Tofuu

HSC

i don't think they could do much in terms or uni, something like TAFE would be a more suitable option

ajdlinux

HSC

With what they've told me...they're willing to undertake whatever it takes for them...to get into Uni..I suggested them colleges...where don't need an ATAR...they actually look at ur first yr performance..and if they see u r good....u will get 2nd yr entry into UWS..
Well it's one thing to say they'll put in heaps of effort - but do you think they have a realistic chance? If so, then probably a uni-based foundation studies course or something would help them, but if they don't realistically have the capacity to do well enough even if they put in all the effort they have, such a course would be a waste of time and they'd be far better off at TAFE.

HSC

Yeah, I know....how long does it take??
Basically it takes one year, then you're able to transfer to your 2nd year @ UWS or any other uni.

martinc

HSC

I wouldn't believe them when they say they would put in a heap of effort, with someone who gets 30-ish ATARs, they would have been accustomed to doing nothing in class, and no studying whatsoever. TAFE is the best option, or getting some other kind of job.

huhwotsthis

HSC

i didnt even get 30 can i get into uni?

sinophile

HSC
N/A

Hardly anyone gets a <30 ATAR anyway, because most of the lower percentages are 'occupied by year 10 dropouts'.

If someone actually gets one, i'd feel really sorry for them.

huhwotsthis

HSC

fk u

sinophile

HSC
N/A

fk u 2

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

Aspite to be in Uni but once they get in, are you sure they'll survive

especially in science course, lol - ain't no walk through the park

sachu

HSC

Well it's one thing to say they'll put in heaps of effort - but do you think they have a realistic chance? If so, then probably a uni-based foundation studies course or something would help them, but if they don't realistically have the capacity to do well enough even if they put in all the effort they have, such a course would be a waste of time and they'd be far better off at TAFE.

I firmly believe they can....because they are academic students...I don't know know what happened to them in Yr 12....one of them was even offered a scholarship at UWS....I do feel for them, really! I think their ATAr news has really hit them hard...and I believe they will do well if there were a chance other than repeating Yr 12.

Basically it takes one year, then you're able to transfer to your 2nd year @ UWS or any other uni.
Hey, are u sure...u can transfer to other unis too..? If thats so, even I might try it....eventhough I got 80ish..

I wouldn't believe them when they say they would put in a heap of effort, with someone who gets 30-ish ATARs, they would have been accustomed to doing nothing in class, and no studying whatsoever. TAFE is the best option, or getting some other kind of job.
i didnt even get 30 can i get into uni?
Yeah, I know TAFE might be better but their parents are on total denial of TAFE. Lemme just tell u their ATARs one..got 47 and the other got 49.

ajdlinux

HSC

I firmly believe they can....because they are academic students...I don't know know what happened to them in Yr 12....one of them was even offered a scholarship at UWS....I do feel for them, really! I think their ATAr news has really hit them hard...and I believe they will do well if there were a chance other than repeating Yr 12.
That's some drop between being offered a scholarship and getting a <50 ATAR. It's a matter of identifying why their results were so poor. If some traumatic event happened or difficult situation that disrupted their studies, then they'd probably be able to do better if they tried again. But on the other hand, if they were studying consistently throughout the year and working hard, then perhaps they're actually already performing at their maximum.

On the subject of repeating year 12, I know that my school doesn't allow it, the grounds being that past experience shows that most students who repeat year 12 don't actually do any better than the first time around.

edit: do you know what their assessment ranks were like throughout the year?

HSC

Hey, are u sure...u can transfer to other unis too..? If thats so, even I might try it....eventhough I got 80ish..
Yes, i even contacted them.

DanQ1991

HSC

I suggest redoing the HSC completely ONLY IF you are CERTAIN you will put the extra effort in.

It would be a very big reward and a sense of achievement if you can make the jump from 30.00 to say at least 75.00.

You are way out of reach, even with the bonuses.

Think about it. A year would be so worth it in the end if you make it. Otherwise, do TAFE.

The only reasons I can think of someone getting that is not studying and not doing their best.

jaysexy

HSC

No matter what they do, regardless it being tafe or whatever, it'll still be a year lost

Tafe sounds like the best option for them; they can possibly transfer to uni the year after if they do well enough

sachu

HSC

That's some drop between being offered a scholarship and getting a <50 ATAR. It's a matter of identifying why their results were so poor. If some traumatic event happened or difficult situation that disrupted their studies, then they'd probably be able to do better if they tried again. But on the other hand, if they were studying consistently throughout the year and working hard, then perhaps they're actually already performing at their maximum.

On the subject of repeating year 12, I know that my school doesn't allow it, the grounds being that past experience shows that most students who repeat year 12 don't actually do any better than the first time around.

edit: do you know what their assessment ranks were like throughout the year?
Because you were almost in the same classes for all subjects...for every subject we had at least 20 students and they were always in the top 8..except for 2U maths we had 10 students and they were 5th and 6th............Their studies wasn't affected at all because of traumatic events...I think it was their study methods that didn't serve them well..........I should prolly tell them to take on foundation study...and also some colleges don't even need a ATAR....they give one more chance and if u prove it...u get a ticket to Uni for 2nd yr entry into ur chosen course.....

btw subjects were..biology, chem, MAths 2U, std.english and foodtech..i think yea it was...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)