Whats the HSC worth? (1 Viewer)

angelar

hey guys, Is the hsc exam for sac only gonna be worth 35% isn't it? Cause PIPS were worth 30% total, and thats leaves 70%, which is half external half internal...is that right?? i figured thats how its done anyway.

Does anyone know for sure?

mishka

HSC
N/A
ok, when you get your results, you'll get what's called the HSC mark (which is how the bands are determined).

50% of the HSC mark is your (internal) school assessment (which is moderated according to how your school does in relation to other schools)

the other 50% is your external assessment - made up of the PIP (30%) and the exam (70%).

So in a way, yes, the exam is worth 35% of the whole HSC mark, but how well you do in your internal assessment is judged by your relative performance in the external assessment, so it is pretty important.

In other words, do your best :D

angelar

yeah okay cool, thats what i figured! yeah i'm still gonnna try my best for sure, its just a security blanket in case the exam doesnt go the way i would like lol! then i can just stay in denial~ thanks for your help!

steffo

steph
HSC
so, if your school marked sac students REALLY HARD and people ended up with average marks (sorta) internally, and then they did very very well externally (pip and exam) does the hsc go "oh this genius' school must've marked her heaps hard" or does it all just get smashed into a UAI in the magical mysterious hsc machine?

maybe i should've listened at all those "year 12 find out about your scary future" meetings...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Remember the 50% internal mark will change considerably dependent on your own HSC exam mark. So really, the HSC exam is worth 70%.

mishka

HSC
N/A
exactly right - that's why it's really important to show 'em what you've got!! :D

even though it makes sense mathematically, the truth is the exam is the major identifier.

cataleptic

HSC
God, this is so confusing.

Why does there have to be so many variables in HSC/UAI calculation?!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
cataleptic said:
God, this is so confusing.

Why does there have to be so many variables in HSC/UAI calculation?!
Because in order to design a "fair" system of ranking students based on UAI and accmmodate different combinations of subject choices, it has to be complex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)