Whats the most underrated/overrated aspect about UNCLE? (1 Viewer)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
It feels massive when you first get there cause there's trees everywhere and you can't see far. The uni would be so much easier to get around if it was flat and wasnt in dense bush.

I wish they'd bulldoze more trees for car parking spots - two birds with one stone.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i'd prefer less trees and more lawn.
give the groundskeepers dudes something to do.

I find the students are generally fair dumb, but I'm in a different degree.

Like some of the analysis you get from people in english is extremely poor.

The mature aged students in law (about 3 of the 10) sure are dumb too.
dude, ur in first year. this conversation has been had before, but if they're really that dumb, how long do you think they'll last in a difficult degree.
and if they do last, who are we to say they dont deserve it? let the employers decide.

Last edited:
HSC
i'd prefer less trees and more lawn.
give the groundskeepers dudes something to do.

dude, ur in first year. this conversation has been had before, but if they're really that dumb, how long do you think they'll last in a difficult degree.
and if they do last, who are we to say they dont deserve it? let the employers decide.
Yeah, yeah, I didn't say nothin' :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Oooooh do we really want more of those? :p
they scare me

On that topic: They need to empty those dead pot plants and replace them with bins. People use them as bins anyway.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Overrated:
The Gym.
The Location.
The Bar.
The Sports Facilities.

Underrated:
The Quality of some departments.
The Cost of living (which is relatively cheap)

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Um, love BOTH (at night only, daytime for danishes only). GT I'm not so sure about anymore but it was great.

What is the difference between the gym and sports facilities? The gym is exxy as though, I know that much.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
the gym is over priced and over rated.

The really good facilities are unavailable to students.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Bear in mind that this is coming from a geography department perspective
Underrated
1) Since starting honours, you start to comprehend the type of research projects being undertaken at the university. In the geography department, our research centre attracts on average over $1.5 million in grant money each year for projects from state and federal government, as well as heaps of private investment. The centre is actually self-sufficient, in that it doesn’t require university funding to operate (though we still do naturally accept university money)
2) Some of the academics I work with are involved in some huge academic debates. My current supervisor is involved in academic debate with a Cambridge professor concerning the power of the nation. In terms of geography, we're regarded as one of the best faculties in the country (not a common preconception though)

Overated
1) Unfortunately Newcastle seems to have problems retaining really promising researchers. Just this year 3 of the research fellows in geography have been snapped up by other universities (mainly Macquarie, Western Sydney and New England). Newcastle continually creates solid researchers, yet is unable to retain their services once they finish their PhD or fellowship. In many ways, the competition we’re faced with in attaining research grants today come from academics who once studied at Newcastle.
2) Our research scholarships are meagre compared to other universities. Most PhD students get a $20 000 stipend for expenses each year (plus $1000 a year for travel). This is in comparison to other universities who offer $30 000 and 6000 a year for travel.
3) In my view, the university lacks an overall objective/culture. We don't get much direction from the chancellery and other key departments, but are rather left to our own devices. We could do so much better if we had some overall direction for university excellence

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Based on the Leighton Contractors "Meet & Greet" I had last night in their Sydney HQ, i'd say:

UNDERRATED:
Engineering - Civil

There were literally as many UNCLE Civil Eng students as there was USYD Civil Eng students...and that's with the Director being a USYD alumni.

ZaraKu

HSC
Overrated -
Location (mozzies, shitloads of trees and FA parking isn't cool people)
Food - needs to be more diversity and maybe another food outlet (eg a real pizza place or something like oporto), although I do like Zouki's sweet chilli chicken pasta
Gym - too expensive to join, I wanted to then went fuck no!
Mature Agers - They all seem cranky and like as though they think they're god's gift to the place.

Underrated -
OPUS - funniest thing I've read in ages, wish it was published more often
Library - super helpful and great resource
Ron Newton - dunno if Anyone has had him as a teacher but he is awesome (he was my Directed Study teacher last semester)

blue_chameleon

HSC
Overrated -
Location (mozzies, shitloads of trees and FA parking isn't cool people)
Food - needs to be more diversity and maybe another food outlet (eg a real pizza place or something like oporto), although I do like Zouki's sweet chilli chicken pasta
They have a Subway. I'd say that's probably the only main franchise that the uni will have for the foreseeable future. I honestly can't see the university/union approving something like an Oporto. Although, I do have a love for their Bondi Burgers. <3.

Gym - too expensive to join, I wanted to then went fuck no!
Mature Agers - They all seem cranky and like as though they think they're god's gift to the place.
The gym is a corporate entity, and is run as such. I don't see any issues with their pricing. If you join for $20/month and don't use the facilities, you're still no better off.

Underrated -
OPUS - funniest thing I've read in ages, wish it was published more often
Library - super helpful and great resource
I have to disagree with you on Opus. Whilst there have been some quite humourous and very readable issues in the past, the new editors are doing it no favours, and you can tell by the quality all round. No direspect to them, they are most probably doing a great job for the amount of experience they hold, but the magazine's certainly not underrated.

The library however, I will definitely agree with you on. Especially the team down on the ground level in the Info Common. How great are those guys?

Hey, hey? :D

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Hahah I think I used those uglies at the AIC help desk once. Freaking love that building though haha, as if I don't say it enough. I wish I had excuses to go there still.

ZaraKu said:
Really fucking loathe this stereotype hey. Some mature agers will put more effort into their work than ~90% of all first years (just added my own generalisation in there but whatever, I'm making a point :p).

Some mature agers seem insanely thick, but tbh I think, in the spirit of the thread, some mature agers are underrated. I've seen quite a few put in a lot of effort, they know what they're talking about and tend to ask questions or bring up topics of discussion in tutes which are helpful for anybody that bothers to pay attention.

blue_chameleon

HSC
I tell you what sucks the most?

The social part of the UNI. It really is bad. Everyone just goes home and it's pretty dead.

Even some of the lectures i went to, the students are so lazy and unmotivated for macro and micro they just dont give a shit. im doing them as electives to transfer into commerce/law.

Oh and what pissed me off the most was, a UTS student in my macro class she came here for a year and couldn't stop talking shit about it. how bad it was and how UTS is the best uni in sydney. I told her to go to hell.

Oh yeah and the older people suck (especially with babies crying in lectures). There heaps stupid and think they know what they're talking about but they don't.

im out.
Having been here for 4 years now, I can see for myself that the social side of the university hasn't exactly been shining brightly or flourished in much way at all. However, there are societies that have been established by students in Commerce/Business over the last year that look like with some real interest and more importantly, sustained organisation, they could offer up a social outlet to the students that the Bus/Law faculty has been desperately craving for so long.

If you're successful in getting into a Law double though, there are a lot more close-knit societies and clubs that students run for the law types.

At the end of the day though, it doesn't take much to organise a society/club if you and a few others are intent on building a bit of a social network. My only regret is that I hadn't been involved in a business society earlier in my degree. My best piece of advice is to make friends with some of the Engineers and go to a FRAT party to see how they are organised, as the engineers have without doubt, the best run society on campus. If anything, ask some of the older guys how you could start one and what they did.

Think about what might attract you and your fellow students together, and then take it to someone in the Business & Law faculty. They are more than willing to help you get something off the ground, if at the end of the day, it improves the satisfaction of studying here.

Don't worry too much about people that degrade the degree or university, more often than not they are sheep that have wandered from other universities, expecting to be lead to somewhere great without lifting a finger.

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I tell you what sucks the most?

The social part of the UNI. It really is bad. Everyone just goes home and it's pretty dead.

Even some of the lectures i went to, the students are so lazy and unmotivated for macro and micro they just dont give a shit. im doing them as electives to transfer into commerce/law.

Oh and what pissed me off the most was, a UTS student in my macro class she came here for a year and couldnt stop talking shit about it. how bad it was and how UTS is the best uni in sydney. I told her to go to hell.

Oh yeah and the older people suck (especially with babies crying in lectures). There heaps stupid and think they know what theyre talking about but they don't.

im out.
K, but you just ripped into general students, visitors and mature-age students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)