What's the problem? plz halp (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a computer that hasn't been used in ~2 months, it was being a bit of a cunt in regards to starting up 5-2 months ago but I usually left it on all the time which avoided this (most of the time it started up okay but sometimes it just failed and restarted part way through, eventually starting up properly and working fine).

Anywho I hooked everything up today intending to format it and start fresh and it's not talking to the monitor, I tried with another monitor and that didn't work either. I reseated the graphics card and tried again to no success, any suggestions and/or ideas?

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm fine with replacing a part that isn't working if I can isolate it and determine what it is that is causing the problem.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I'd laugh so hard if it was the motherboard.

HSC
Uni Grad
How come?
Just means I'd have to go all the kings horses and all the kings men and put it back together again.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I have a computer that hasn't been used in ~2 months, it was being a bit of a cunt in regards to starting up 5-2 months ago but I usually left it on all the time which avoided this (most of the time it started up okay but sometimes it just failed and restarted part way through, eventually starting up properly and working fine).

Anywho I hooked everything up today intending to format it and start fresh and it's not talking to the monitor, I tried with another monitor and that didn't work either. I reseated the graphics card and tried again to no success, any suggestions and/or ideas?
Either your graphics card is fried or your mobo PCIe x16 slot is screwed. Most likely your graphics card is fried. - get a new cheap graphics card and make sure it complies with your power supply's watt limit, to test it out. Even borrow another graphics card from another computer or friend?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Either your graphics card is fried or your mobo PCIe x16 slot is screwed. Most likely your graphics card is fried. - get a new cheap graphics card and make sure it complies with your power supply's watt limit, to test it out. Even borrow another graphics card from another computer or friend?
Assuming that it's PCIe - could be AGP!

Grab someone's graphics card and slap it in there to see if it works.

HSC
Uni Grad
Alright I'll see my friend has his old 9800 lying around and give it a try.

kfnmpah

HSC
nah, what you've gotta do is delete your Win32 files.

It might delete some of your word documents etc, but then if you just wipe a big magnet over your hard drive, it'll restore the couple of files that got deleted.

srs.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
nah, what you've gotta do is delete your Win32 files.

It might delete some of your word documents etc, but then if you just wipe a big magnet over your hard drive, it'll restore the couple of files that got deleted.

srs.

System32.

But +1!!!1!!!

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Assuming that it's PCIe - could be AGP!

Grab someone's graphics card and slap it in there to see if it works.
AGP is old now and hardly used. I think I saw only 2 cards that support it last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)