Whats the scaling like for Modern? (1 Viewer)

LucyLamingtons

HSC
sorry for the stupid question :( but i dont understand this scaling stuff...what does it mean?

Chelle

Im in the same boat Vas

My highest scaling subject is English Advanced.. and im doing pretty poorly in it.

THE HSC SUX!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
my highest is maths extension 1 which is one I am worst at... it even scales higher than eng ex 2!

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
I'm not sure lol. I think I mean that when you use the UAI seeker it appears that the mark is scaled down but that is actually because the UAI is calculated off your raw exam mark instead of the mark aligned to the bands.... so say you got a raw mark of 85 in the exam, and that made your aligned mark 90... then it is the 85 that is scaled in order to calculate your UAI... so the 85 might scale to 86.5.... so it appears that your mark has been scaled down from 90 but it is actually scaled up..... that probably makes no sense and is probably wrong!

Laz?? Any help!!
i have nooo idea what you're talking about .. as far as i've been told what band you achieve has no bearing on your uai. actually i'm VERY confused by what you just said. um,... im not going to say you're wrong because i am by no means an expert but i definitely have no clue what you're on about. i thought a mark was just a mark, and the mark on your hsc is a combination of internal and external/exam marks.

like in uaiseeker, if i put in my mark as being 85, it stays at 85. and if i put it as 90, it definitely doesn't scale down to 85.

umm.. i dont know.. can you re-explain what you just said? i'm very lost now

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
nah it makes sense.. u do the exam and get a raw mark, averaged with a raw assessment mark etc and u get a mark for each subject.
the Board of studies align ur raw mark to whatever they see fit, then UAC SCALE the same raw mark to a different "scaled" mark

the UAC "scaled" mark is typically lower than the BOS "aligned" mark, so it may seem that UAC have "scaled" the "aligned" mark down, when in fact, they ahve simply not "scaled" the raw exam mark as high as the BOS hav aligned it

probly makes even less sense than before

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by Nick
nah it makes sense.. u do the exam and get a raw mark, averaged with a raw assessment mark etc and u get a mark for each subject.
the Board of studies align ur raw mark to whatever they see fit, then UAC SCALE the same raw mark to a different "scaled" mark

the UAC "scaled" mark is typically lower than the BOS "aligned" mark, so it may seem that UAC have "scaled" the "aligned" mark down, when in fact, they ahve simply not "scaled" the raw exam mark as high as the BOS hav aligned it

probly makes even less sense than before

Woah, I think that was what I was trying to say!

apollo

it doesn't at all ey spin spin sugar :)

modern history has just over average scaling - 27 = scaled mean last year.

unless you get over 97/98, your scaled modern history mark will be lower than the mark that is reported to you. there is no point in even talking about raw marks because they may as well be an xfile. we know nothing about them. all we have to go off is aligned marks, so we work off them. scaled marks for modern come out lower than aligned marks until you're hitting the top few percentiles, so your scaled mark for UAI purposes will be lower than the mark you get from the BOS.

modern history does have above average scaling, but not by much (average mark last year would have been a 54). considering the sheer size of the subject, i think it should scale better...

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
braindrainedAsh and Nick are correct. :)

Marks tend to increase when being aligned. The Board reports this inflated mark to you.

Marks may go up or down when being scaled. This 'real' mark is used when calculating UAIs.

The only available indicator of whether a mark has been scaled up or down is the scaled mean for that course (where 25.0 is average).

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It's not your actual exam mark, it's your performance aligned to the bands. So if your actual mark is 87 but you have met all the band 6 criteria your mark will be inflated to 90-something to put u in band 6.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by Lolliana
so does anyone care to take a stab at my aligned mark, if my raw mark is around 85?
I think it varies every year depending on the quality of the canditure. Lazarus would probably be the best one to ask.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
..WHY????? why is it inflated???
Raw marks are awarded on a scale from 0 to 100. Aligned marks are generally reported on a scale from 50 to 100. The distribution is skewed so that more students achieve higher marks. This skewing is exactly the reason why raw marks are used for UAIs instead.

Originally posted by Lolliana
so does anyone care to take a stab at my aligned mark, if my raw mark is around 85?
No-one knows the raw band cut-offs; I couldn't even begin to guess.

apollo

Laz...

Regardless of the relatively unknown raw marks...

It is true that scaled marks used for the UAI are generally lower than aligned marks (which are the only ones we see anyway), correct?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)