Whats UWS like? (1 Viewer)

forceblade

HSC
hi everyone well i got my UAi back and i am considering UWS, at either campelltown, blacktown, and parra.

so i was jsut wondering how is the environment in this campus like? is the facilities up to date, does it have lecture halls, and hows the teachers like.

if anyone that goes to this campus can answer my question it would help me alot in my decision.

kido525

HSC
Sup dude , Which course are u thinking of taking up im in the same position too im thinking of doing Medical Science or Engineering but the medical science has 2 campuses which im not sure of which to choose too >.< but i think i had someone to clarify some things for me and well i think im going to cambelltown

Jonathan A

HSC
The facilities at UWS are continually getting better. Because we are a young university, we have very new equipment.

It also depends what are you are planning on studying.

Angel45

HSC
I can't generalise but I'm doing LLB/Communication Studies and I've enjoyed my first year immensely -> student wise (ppl. r heaps nice, relaxed and down to earth), campus wise esp coz they're smaller (Parra's my fave between penrith and parra hehe), teacher wise (there's been one or two odd ones but where wouldn't there be) and I like that u can email 'em and stuff and most make concerted effort to learn every1's names (a nice touch!)

Also, the course content has been good and I'm looking 4wd to second year...I haven't felt overwhelmed or like scared of uni the whole time..

Overall, I've found UWS has a good atmosphere which I've liked..

L

LaraB

well...for those who are worried about facilities - i can only speak for parra campus since i go there 99% of the time... - new looking library, plenty of computers, books, e-resources, staff to help etc... near new lecture hall/auditorium... new buildings and carparks beingc onstructed as we speak

don't assume just coz the uni has heritage buildings resources are out of date! the outside of the buildings doesn't reflect the inside... inf act - makes em look nicer:) not so bland as some other unis/campuses:)

classes range from tutes of a dozen to tutes of 25... seminar classes range from 30 to 52 people-ish, lecture range from 50 to a couple of hundred... but buildings are equipped to cope as are lecturers/tutors...

i know my course, generaly tutes are quite small as are seminar gropus so as someone else pointed out - you get to know the teachers which is good coz it makes asking questions or getting exara help on specific things much easier...

most campuses have ample food facilities.. not all have gyms/pools but some do and each have sports fields, parra got basketball courts, tennis courts, volleyball nets set up..

people are (generally) friendly.. of course there's a number of morons/nutcases/racists/sexists whatever - but you get that at EVERY!!!! uni!!! including the more prestigious ones who claim you don't... difference is i think, that as the uni's divided up into campuses - they aren't a problem and don't annoy people coz there's too few students for them to have any affect...

most the lecturer/tutors are awesome people.. some are jerks, but again, you get that everywhere... all have wide experience - a lot were educated at sydney, unsw, monash, oxford etc etc - most b eing educated at multiple institutions, most have current/recent industry experience so you can be assured they know their stuff...

what courses are you interested in? because if you tell us what areas you're looking at we can give you some more specific feedback:) especially as some of us 2nd year onwards students will be in the same classes as 1styear students as combined degree people do half the numebr of non-law units each year so you technically do some 1st year units in 2nd year - which is often handy for group work for 1st year's coz you got people who have the hang of things to help you a bit:)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
The environments at every campus are different, but they are still awesome. Lecturers are really nice as well, they will answer any questions during lectures, after lectures / tutorials and any other time, and they do make an effort to remember your name as well, which is great.

SweetSeasons

HSC
UWS is good depending on what course you do... my sugestion if you are doing science or what ever.. try really hard 1st sem get ur hd/d average and transfer to a sydney uni for a science... the content was boring, the teachers meh, the pracs extreamly boring and yeah.. I dunno I will be glad to not set foot in another UWS science lab.

But my friends who do other courses, they really enjoy the content.. it's more the people they go to uni with that they don't like.

L

LaraB

SweetSeasons said:
UWS is good depending on what course you do... my sugestion if you are doing science or what ever.. try really hard 1st sem get ur hd/d average and transfer to a sydney uni for a science... the content was boring, the teachers meh, the pracs extreamly boring and yeah.. I dunno I will be glad to not set foot in another UWS science lab.

But my friends who do other courses, they really enjoy the content.. it's more the people they go to uni with that they don't like.
i know you hated UWS sweet seasons lol.. but didn't you only just get your transfer out?

perhaps you just hate the content and you're gonna hate the content at Usyd anyways?... all those careers advisors always say if you hate the course you'll hate everything else about the uni regardless of what it's like...

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Parra is a good campus, next year a new teaching building will be done...

on side note, one of the wackiest things happen is, when i was working, i was actually serving one of my lecturers/also tutor...

texta83

HSC
LaraB said:
bein rude doesn't help anyone...
True. My bad. Its just funny how people think uws has no lecture theatres. How many myths about UWS are there.

L

LaraB

hiphophooray123 said:
its allright parra doesnt have automatic sliding doors though so you have to open them :(:(:(

other unis look alot better ;)
lol it so does haha - the library :)

if you're that lazy, think of it as a workout lol:p

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
It depends what is classed as the lecture rooms though. I know this campus wasn't one specified at the first post, but at Hawkesbury, theres only 2 rooms that are traditional lecture rooms with the massive amounts of stairs in them, the rest are just like normal high school class rooms.

SweetSeasons

HSC
LaraB said:
i know you hated UWS sweet seasons lol.. but didn't you only just get your transfer out?

perhaps you just hate the content and you're gonna hate the content at Usyd anyways?... all those careers advisors always say if you hate the course you'll hate everything else about the uni regardless of what it's like...
My friend did Science at NSW this year and yeah I see her stuff and it just looks a lot more interesting.. even the maths looked more interesting.

I'm going to ACU to do Bach of teaching/Bach of arts-technology. I'm transfering cause I want to teach industrial arts insted of science.. I will prolly head back to uni later on in life and do some additional study so I can teach yr 12 Biology as well as industrial arts.. which is my dream.

L

LaraB

i don't understand this desperate need al ot of HSC students have to have the stereotypical, albeit AMERICAN NOT AUSTRALIAN image of uni..

huge lecture halls are a lot worse for some people because you can't ask questions, often its hard to see the notes - lecture notes off webct help but sometimes there's extra stuff...plus you have those annoyingglittle 'tables'...

smaller lectures i reckon are better - some of mine had like...60 peopel to start with.. which dwindled to 20 as people got lazy coz it was a 9am lecture - but it was awesome coz she was really friendly and you could ask questions and she'd go back and repeat stuff or go into more detail if you needed..

plus she gave us lollies at the end of the semester haha :p

L

LaraB

SweetSeasons said:
My friend did Science at NSW this year and yeah I see her stuff and it just looks a lot more interesting.. even the maths looked more interesting.

I'm going to ACU to do Bach of teaching/Bach of arts-technology. I'm transfering cause I want to teach industrial arts insted of science.. I will prolly head back to uni later on in life and do some additional study so I can teach yr 12 Biology as well as industrial arts.. which is my dream.
that's what i mean :) you obviously didn'tl ike the course which reflects on your 'dislike' of the uni lol....

SweetSeasons

HSC
yeah.. I dunno.. I love science.. just didn't love uws. I know a fair few ppl in the course felt the same way.. so it prolly was the course :p

As I sai dmy friends who do Nursing, ciminology and pe all love the course.. but hate the social aspect

forceblade

HSC
texta83 said:
True. My bad. Its just funny how people think uws has no lecture theatres. How many myths about UWS are there.
lol srry i am jsut worried, no offence to UWS but i dont want to go to a Uni where they jsut have classrooms like in highschool i am looking forward to lecture halls ever since i saw them in the movies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)