What's your favourite guitar brand? (1 Viewer)

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
Go kill yourself now please, Strats are the opposite of Versatile. They are VERY limited in their tonal qualities.

For Electric guitars there are about 1000 different determining factors on what is the best guitar you're playing.

For Metal:
Using Floyd Roses, Detuning etc you're talking Ibanez or Jackson. I'm sorry but every B.C. Rich I've seen has either been a joke or... well a joke... I haven't seen one be decently set up yet, and you basically need to 80% of the time put new pickups in them. They look cool, that's about it.

ESPs are ok, but tend to be poorly constructed in lower end models and way overpriced for better equivalents in higher price brackets. But their high ends are very well made.

If you want that chunkier Metal sound with solid bridges, maybe a little detuning you're talking a Gibson Les Paul (possibly with EMGs or Seymour Duncans in there) or like PRS Customs. They have that gorgeously fat, thick bodied tone.

I personally use Ibanez because it does what I need...
my next electric investment will be a PRS Custom 22 (I don't need 24 frets)

For Rock/Pop:

On the bluesier side you're talking a stratocaster... but only if you want that distinctive sound. Fat Strats are a waste of time and money.

If you're going a more soft rock sound a Telecaster is a better option with a brighter tone that distorts better. Soft Rock also goes well with most Hollow body guitars, but I would recommend the Gibson ES series, or the Yamaha SA series (particularly the SA220, because that is possibly one of the most versatile guitars I've played and what I'm currently using)

Harder Rock or more classic rock you're going solid body. PRS, SG or Les Paul. The Yamaha RG series does really well here too. Slightly cheaper option that easily holds its own with tone, and beats a lot of these for cool appearance.

Jazz... well that's a whole new kettle of custom made fish

For Acoustic Guitars the best brands: Breedlove, Taylor. On the cheaper end of the spectrum Tanglewood. Martin & Co as well as Maton are good, but in each of their price brackets they're outdone by the equivalents I listed.

I'm currently using an amazing Tanglewood, and will eventually get a Breedlove for heavy strumming stuff in soft rock and a Taylor for just about everything.

All eventually through an x2Digital Wiresless setup, tuner, line switcher - DTAR Mama bear and Boss DD7 for the acoustics, and a Boss GT-PRO + some Analogue man effects and a Vox wah into a Peavey JSX.

Sexy :D

you are amazing.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Do tell me your versatile guitars, I am curious.
The guitars I've seen cover the most styles are dual humbucker guitars with Coil Taps. So the SA220 I play goes from trad Jazz right through to Blues rockabilly, and from Soft right through to Hard Rock chunky tone. The Action can do enough speed for Metal but it's pushing it. And it doesn't look very Metal.

Granted it is also a very expensive guitar and out of most peoples price range.

But in all truth a guitar needs to be really dedicated to high gain, sustain and have a fast action like a Wizard neck for Metal (which Is why I have the Ibanez) But the Ibanez doesn't do soft very well. But I am covered for everything with those two.

Recently though I played a Yamaha RGX A2 and it was one of the most brilliant guitars I've played. Really light but really warm. I didn't really get to test it out. But it had a fast neck. It would struggle with trad jazz and probably a little with Blues... but it would probably do them ok and do everything else really well. Granted this particular copy had been modded considerably from factory specs. But most reviews say it's good (I liked the one I played)

Yamaha Music Australia - Musical Instruments - Guitars - Electric - Solid Bodied - RGX A2

A lot of mid range Yamaha's are good for that though. Someone said Schecter earlier. They can be good, but only in the thicker, humbucker heavy territory.

I mean the ultimate versatile guitar would be something custom or something like musicman with the right equipment... but yea...

Teclis

HSC
Well I currently have 3. 1 acoustic and 2 electrics.... just telling you my favourites
and lol. Lord Von Silly neg repped me for this post saying "Yet you probably sound like every other Joe Indie Prick Smiths Coverband"

So I've played in metal bands where the majority of our stuff is in 5 or 7 timings.

I'm currently putting together a 7 piece prog-metal band that includes 2 guitars, piano, drums, bass, vocals and DJ.

I play in a folk rock band with an incredible vocalist who has been likened to a mix of Katie Noonan, Kate Miller Heidke and Regina Spektor and our band likened to a mix of the Cat Empire, Angus and Julia Stone and George.
I was told by one of Australias leading folk musicians that the music I wrote was beautiful and poetic.

So no... I don't sound like every other Joe Indie Prick Smiths Coverband... and you can bite me... I just happen to know my gear.

aektzis

HSC
Just wondering what everyone's favourite brand is, acoustic and electric.

Personally, knowing very little about guitar brands, I love the martin&co acoustics.

And also, what's the best buy? I'm referring to the second-best (not so well known) brands.
I highly recommend ESP!!! they make beautiful guitars, mine is a honeyburst eclipse, pretty much looks like a classic gibson les paul, only has a thinner/smoother neck, better quality pickups (seymour duncans absolutely slay standard gibson p'ups) and tuners. got mine for half price (1700) at my local guitar store, and sounds and feels better than any gibson ive played. ESP are definately worth every cent!

ok, so favourite guitar of all time, obviously the les paul, but also fender teles or strats go down alright too

peace

Teclis

HSC
I highly recommend ESP!!! they make beautiful guitars, mine is a honeyburst eclipse, pretty much looks like a classic gibson les paul, only has a thinner/smoother neck, better quality pickups (seymour duncans absolutely slay standard gibson p'ups) and tuners. got mine for half price (1700) at my local guitar store, and sounds and feels better than any gibson ive played. ESP are definately worth every cent!

ok, so favourite guitar of all time, obviously the les paul, but also fender teles or strats go down alright too

peace
The reason the Gibsons you've played sound shocking or play shocking is probably because they haven't been set up properly and you were probably playing low end instruments.

HSC
N/A
and lol. Lord Von Silly neg repped me for this post saying "Yet you probably sound like every other Joe Indie Prick Smiths Coverband"

So I've played in metal bands where the majority of our stuff is in 5 or 7 timings.

I'm currently putting together a 7 piece prog-metal band that includes 2 guitars, piano, drums, bass, vocals and DJ.

I play in a folk rock band with an incredible vocalist who has been likened to a mix of Katie Noonan, Kate Miller Heidke and Regina Spektor and our band likened to a mix of the Cat Empire, Angus and Julia Stone and George.
I was told by one of Australias leading folk musicians that the music I wrote was beautiful and poetic.

So no... I don't sound like every other Joe Indie Prick Smiths Coverband... and you can bite me... I just happen to know my gear.
You seem insecure about your music credentials.

Teclis

HSC
Yea... well most of my friends think I tend to be a little arrogant and self centred when it comes to my own music.

Can you even play an instrument? Let alone play with other musicians?

Also... I had a chat with my housemate who's actually a session guitarist. He reckons the most versatile guitars out there are Parkers. I'd forgotten about the Parker Fly. It's incredible!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)