What's your job and how much you earn? (1 Viewer)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
a question for all those commerce or law students here. do they pay younger lads less because they assume they are less intelligent, or less are expected from them?

SipSip

HSC
N/A
wuddie said:
a question for all those commerce or law students here. do they pay younger lads less because they assume they are less intelligent, or less are expected from them?

what types of jobs are you talking about?

if it's a grad program you're after...they normally pay decent as a first job...

49k package (incl super)...for a first job..
IB's pay about 70-80k base..same as trading...(first hand exp)

so yeah...just gotta work hard on your marks...

and expect to be on a low salary for a non-grad role when you start off...it's not because you are less intelligent...it's just that they know you will take the job no matter what pay it is...

in terms of expectations..i think it varies between companies and managers...so good luck.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
velox said:
Trading pays $100k + Bonus. SipSip - How's work?
Trading as a Junior Trader would pay 100k + bonus...

Unfortunately...i'm just a graduate on a graduate program...so 80k sounds pretty good

not sure about bonus either...

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Trajan said:
Yeah but they're like kids 15-16.
Even so, I could not stand that. You work for an hour and then can't even afford to buy a meal from where you work? What up with that?

Trajan

HSC
Riet said:
. You work for an hour and then can't even afford to buy a meal from where you work? What up with that?

I thought Maccas/KFC gave half price discounts to their employees?

Yo, can any of you fast -food dudes confirm this?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Trajan said:
I thought Maccas/KFC gave half price discounts to their employees?

Yo, can any of you fast -food dudes confirm this?
They aren't supposed to, heaps of managers do, but that's not what I meant.
Serving food for an hour isn't as valuable to them as one meal...

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Trajan said:
yes...whats that in yours?...a yak?
dunno. maybe.

and at maccas u get a 25% discount for food. And something like 50% off if it its during your break. At least my friends used to with some card.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
There's no way that's true. Maybe based on the retail prices. But the cost of the wholesale cost of a meal to them is going to be less than the actual value of the labor you perform per hour (which is higher than the wage they pay).
Yeh, that's what I mean. The pay undervalues their labour. It's pretty much just exploiting the fact they're under 18.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
There's no way that's true. Maybe based on the retail prices. But the cost of the wholesale cost of a meal to them is going to be less than the actual value of the labor you perform per hour (which is higher than the wage they pay).
How can you determine it as a 'value' though, except by looking at market rates? I mean, sure, the food would be worth nothing without people cooking/serving it, but by the same token those cooking and serving it would be worth nothing without the food.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Well obviously waffles. Thats why I said, its not exploitation. However, you can determine the value of the labor to the company by the value they add.

ie. (revenue - non labor costs)/total hours of labor
But that comes back to the same issue. If I'm building a house, and bricks, labour and cement are all useless towards this endeavour unless I have all three, does this mean that each is worth the entire value of the house, because that's the value they'd add to any other (worthless) combination of these objects?

lolparadox.

zoeanne

HSC
I know at KFC You only get a 10% discount.. O and you might get a free meal if you get a lil piece of paper for working good of them.. but usually they are too lazy to give them out..
haha so glad i left there..
when i worked there i was 17 and on $9.50 apparently is goes up as your age did for the front counter. not sure how true that was i didnt stay around long enough to find out.

However my Job at the moment is currently a Casual Line worker at Casella Wines. So yep they call me in on Friday nights when they need someone..
umm not sure totaly what the pay is as it changes all the time depending what hours/days you work.. But its Great pay for sure esay simple work.. i think its usually normal rate is about $19-$20
But looking for something that is more permenant as i need money for schoolies

CieL

HSC
I couldn't find any matches in this thread.

But has anyone worked at Priceline?
Was wondering what the max wage is for a casual, and at what age does this occur?

Also, do staff get discounts?

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
CieL said:
I couldn't find any matches in this thread.

But has anyone worked at Priceline?
Was wondering what the max wage is for a casual, and at what age does this occur?

Also, do staff get discounts?
I worked at Priceline pharmacy for a year. I was on $11.58 when I started at 18 and it went up $2 when I turned 19. We got a 15% discount.
Pretty sure the yearly pay rise stops at 21

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)