What's your job and how much you earn? (1 Viewer)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
natstar said:
No, they offered, they dont want me to be left with a debt after I finish uni. Having said that, I do work in the uni holidays, and whatever I can contribute which doesent have to go towards my own personal expenses, i help pay my HECS. Everything else I own ive earnt myself.
Im sorry ur parents are not as generous as mine, but they did offer, and wouldent let me defer it

What about those people who go to private schools. Dont tell me the kids actually pay for their education themselves, which is more than the 2k a semester my parents pay for me to go to uni.
I don't want your pity for having parents which live by the ideology that you appreciate what you earn more than what you are just given. I totally respect that and would do the same for my child, plus it hasn't stopped my ability to continually pay my HECS off as I go.

Oh and in agreement with hipsta-jess, in the bigger scheme, no one really gives a fuck about you and your parents situation.

There is a big difference between private high school costs when compared against university HECS fees. The major thing being that kids in school are under 18 and as a vast majority don't work while at school effectively leaving them unable to pay for the private tuition. Next would be that the government doesn't offer a HECS system for school fees so it basically leaves the decision to adult parents who pay for the schooling of where they will send their kids to school and the costs, both financial and opportunity associated with the choices... you'll never win that argument.

Bricktop

HSC
Class of '02? More like Class of 'OH POO' HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Gymnastics coach
$10/hour
1 hour/ week

Ohhhh yeah!

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
kadlil said:
Hey, that Microsoft Analyst job is pretty cool, nice pay as well
Its a nice working enviro too, I am currently undergoing induction.

Skeeta

HSC
i'm sorry i'll have to say i'm on natstars side here - alot of my mates at uni give me shit because my parents are paying my HECS upfront also, BUT all of them went to private primary and high schools which in total would have cost more than a university education, my parents made the decision to send me to a public school, so they could pay for my uni degree if i got in

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I went to a state school, and I'm paying for my own degree by deferring my HECS. Despite the fact my parents could more than pay for my degree, they're not, and even if they wanted to I wouldn't let them. They are insanely proud of me (I'm the first person in my immediate and/or extended family to go to uni) but I feel my education is something I do for me, and do/should/would not ever expect anyone else to pay it for me. As raiks says, you appreciate things more when you have to work your arse off for it.

Skeeta

HSC
I can understand why people pay for university themselves, whether it be because the family cant afford it or simply because they want to. I'm also the first in the extended family to have gone to uni, and maybe thats why my parents are making such a big deal about it, i'm also one of only two kids, and the other isnt planning on going to uni... i mean if i was one of 6 kids who all wanted to go to uni for 7 years to study medicine, they wouldnt even dream of it.. i suppose it all comes down to the values of the family and yourself - some parents save all their lives so they can afford to send their kids to uni, some refuse and insist that the child pays, then some place a higher importance on a private K-12 education (because uni isnt a necessity) and enforce tafe/straight into workforce

in the end everyones different and i can accept that but it really gets up my nose when people make assumptions (you're a spoilt brat because your parents are payin for the degree).

As for working my ass of for it i can do that by studying hard :D

i suppose natstar tho - you did get a bit defensive early on and kind of bring this up out of no-where and although i'm with you on the parents paying for uni side.. by bringing up wages and job titles you had to see this coming somehow

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
job: warehouse / tutor
pay: 14.10/hr(+sunday penalty on sundays) / 25/hr
hours 9hrs on sat and 8 hrs on sun/week / 2-4 hrs/week on avg through the year

wanna score some official uni "tutoring" jobs next year. the pay is $28/hr for one and like $50/hr for another.

i've had to have my parents pay for my first semester at uni. when suddenly we realised we had to pay the fees upfront (wasnt australian citizen at that time). i had no problem in asking them to pay...i didnt even need to ask.
i think the point that i am trying to make is that everyone's situation is different. you cannot say that you are better than someone else if you support yourself rather than receiver things on a silver platter. similarly, the whole idea of showing up a post, which i thought was in good humour, with such a serious and "looking down on you" remark was uneccessery/childish.

like i said, every family is more different than you think. my workmates pay rent to their parents. lol i would never see that happening at my place. similarly, i cant see any of their parents willing to do their laundry/etc. each family has different values, that you need to accept.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
seremify007 said:
Haha I'm surprised none of the grads come in and wow us with their >$30k salaries.
maybe you just wanted someone like Alan Moss wowing a salary of 18 million a year

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
egg collector, pay is $15.87/hr. Better pay and more interesting than retail/customer service jobs :)

pig_93

HSC
i hope i take the cake with my job and pay.
working at macquarie uni with my sister. packing boxes and carting rubbish to bins. pay you ask?

try $22 an hour. woo hoo.
working 4 days a week.

its hard for a girl but i have some help from boys, so ill live

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
theone123 said:
maybe you just wanted someone like Alan Moss wowing a salary of 18 million a year
I'm Alan Moss' son, well I'm at least going to claim to be if it means getting even a small slice of that $18mill.

m00nks

HSC
Job: Workin at a freight company
Pay:$25.00 an hour

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)