• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What's your opinion on the bach of xxx and xxx courses? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Heya,
many people seem to write of the bachelor of xxx and xxxx courses. I was wondering why that is?
Sure, for example the bachelor of arts and sciences is very general (arts, sciences, legal studies, business) but it could lead to a well rounded education. I can however see the problems associated with finding a job afterwards.
However, the bachelor of economics and social sciences course sounds much better then say the economics course even.
This is because the two are very much related, as opposed to the extremes of sciences and arts.

What's your opinion on the "and" courses?

Generator

HSC
N/A
One appears to be a composite (liberal arts) degree, yet the other is an economics degree with an emphasis on the social sciences... I don't see the point in bothering with a comparison in terms of the 'and'

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
ok...call me n00b...but what's Liberal Studies?......:eek:...do u go and study about liberal party?

dprs

HSC
its a degree where u can major in both Science and Arts subjects...+ a language... it gives u a very "liberal"/broad education

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
dprs said:
its a degree where u can major in both Science and Arts subjects...+ a language... it gives u a very "liberal"/broad education

oooooooooooo...:eek:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I'm not comparing "and" courses. What I meant was, what's your opinion generally on the "and" courses and why are they put down so much by everyone?

DAAVE

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
I'm not comparing "and" courses. What I meant was, what's your opinion generally on the "and" courses and why are they put down so much by everyone?
I think the fact that they are new and untested is the biggest issue. It'd be interesting to see how employers would react to it, but to me it seems like its just a 'basic knowledge' course, without fully exploring each stream.

frenchie

HSC
I doubt that the BEc and Social Science is a 'basic knowledge' course.

Generator

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
Try re-reading my post... You have placed both degrees alongside each other yet I can see no point in doing so when they aren't representing a comparable idea through the 'something and something' name. As for your second point, I am not aware of anyone of value putting down a Bachelor of Economic and Social Sciences (till recently known as the Bachelor of Economics (Social Sciences)), and is there any real point in criticising the Bachelor of Arts and Sciences with it being such a new degree, and should we be criticising a liberal srts degree from a defined employment perspective (i.e., this degree = this field, this starting salary, etc.) when that may well be far from the degree's intended purpose?

LazyBoy

HSC
well im doing B.A.S. (B Arts and Sciences) its like a liberal arts degree. i can major in either or both a science and arts subject. Job wise it will allow me to be qualified for a variety of jobs much as an arts major would. It also allows flexibility in job prospects. I want to become an educator so the course im doing is perfect for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)