Votes: 85 13.7%
  • Trans

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 23 3.7%

• Total voters

agui01

HSC
I'm bisexual, but I must say that the guy world for me, gets off alot more than with girls. With guys I can just play around and be promiscuous, but when it comes to girls you gotta be more serious. Then again, I don't believe in guy-guy relationships, hence my slutiness with them. hehehe.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Bi. But I've never actually had a relationship with a woman.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Optophobia said:
You're forgetting about the laws of agency and the post modern condition.

It's funny, because my mums friend the other day said "You have to remember that all the people at the party i went to the other week were all hilarious, because they were all gay & lesbian, so by their very nature they are funny & happy people who like having a joke!"

Both you and her are incorrect.

By post modernism, you cannot define these people in a particular way.
By laws of agency, an individuals characteristics overide any group characteristics which may exist.

Its obvious that you label these people as GAY and then find them to be a particular type of person, and somehow relate this back to the fact that they are gay, rather than viewing them as being humans who just-so-happen to possess a certain character trait. When you label someone as "GAY" every time you look at them you view them in a certain way or get a certain feeling about them. This is all just your imagination.

Somehow sleeping with someone of the same sex makes you a "backstabbing, gossiping, untrustworthy" person. :rolleyes:
Interesting, but they're ARE actually gay.
Explain this to me, so if a guy was to talk "like a girl" (in the social sense), make gestures similiar to that of a girl, these are only characteristics, and does not make them gay? What they hell are they then, 'cus they sure aint straight.

Oh, and some of them admitted that they were gay, so thats clears some of that up.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
So you're saying only gay men can have stereotypically feminine characteristics?

Redgoddess

HSC
Yay! Sweeping generalisations which don't take individuality into account at all! How's this - I'm attracted to women and I have an interest in fashion, wear dresses and make up and don't have a boyish hair cut. I must actually be straight. Silly me.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Well that's bullshit. Gender expression and sexuality are two totally different things.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
dagwoman said:
Well that's bullshit. Gender expression and sexuality are two totally different things.
Not neccesarily, a person sexuality will often influence how they think and act.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Yes, but that doesn't mean you only a certain way if you're gay. The only thing gay people do differently from straight people is have sex with people of the same sex. Any other differences are entirely to do with other personality traits separate from sexuality.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
dagwoman said:
Yes, but that doesn't mean you only a certain way if you're gay. The only thing gay people do differently from straight people is have sex with people of the same sex. Any other differences are entirely to do with other personality traits separate from sexuality.
I dont believe thats true, especially from what i've seen. Think about it, why do lesbian women act all "butch" and man-like? And why do gay guys bear more of a resemblance to women socially?

Sexaulity is the dividing point between a man and a woman, if someone's gay you can assume, hypotethically, that he would've crossed this hypotethical point.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
And why do ignorant straight people generalise about gay people?

I believe that the reason gay people are less likely to adhere to gender stereotypes is because they already have had to confront the fact that their sexuality doesn't conform to society's norms, and therefore may be more open minded about gender expression and aware that one doesn't need to heed to the gender binary where male=masculine and female=feminine.

And by the way, not all lesbians are butch, and not all gay men are feminine. Your assumptions are painful.

I don't know what you mean by a "dividing line".

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
dagwoman said:
And why do ignorant straight people generalise about gay people?

I believe that the reason gay people are less likely to adhere to gender stereotypes is because they already have had to confront the fact that their sexuality doesn't conform to society's norms, and therefore may be more open minded about gender expression and aware that one doesn't need to heed to the gender binary where male=masculine and female=feminine.

And by the way, not all lesbians are butch, and not all gay men are feminine. Your assumptions are painful.

I don't know what you mean by a "dividing line".
Women and Men think differently, thats been proven by science. Essentially a person's sexuality does influence how they would act, because in sharing the same sexual preference of their opposite gender they would tend to think and act more like them.

i mean "dividing line" more in an "abstract" sense, for lack of a better phrase.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
Women and Men think differently, thats been proven by science. Essentially a person's sexuality does influence how they would act, because in sharing the same sexual preference of their opposite gender they would tend to think and act more like them.

i mean "dividing line" more in an "abstract" sense, for lack of a better phrase.
So you're saying straight women have lots in common because they're straight? What do they have in common because they're straight other than being sexually attracted to men?

I still don't know what you're talking about by "dividing line" though.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I know many many lesbians who aren't butch. And gay guys who aren't feminine.
2 of my best friends are gay guys who are about as masculine as you can get.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
I dont believe thats true, especially from what i've seen. Think about it, why do lesbian women act all "butch" and man-like? And why do gay guys bear more of a resemblance to women socially?

Sexaulity is the dividing point between a man and a woman, if someone's gay you can assume, hypotethically, that he would've crossed this hypotethical point.
Your argument relies on the following presumptions:
  1. That men and women have innate gender roles;
  2. all homosexuals deviate from your idea of gender roles,
  3. that the amount homosexuals you've encountered are restricted to your identification of them (and that they weren't straight/bi people you assumed were gay either),
  4. that your exposure to homosexuals has been in-depth enough to make what is essentially a socio-biological judgement and
  5. that the person one desires at all determines how one governs their behaviour

There is not a single thing in your post that isn't a presumption; with the majority of those presumptions relying on (dubious) anecdotal evidence and the remainder being entirely unquantified. While points 1 and 5 could be argued (though I disagree with them), you have not done so here.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
kami said:
Your argument relies on the following presumptions:
  1. That men and women have innate gender roles;
  2. all homosexuals deviate from your idea of gender roles,
  3. that the amount homosexuals you've encountered are restricted to your identification of them (and that they weren't straight/bi people you assumed were gay either),
  4. that your exposure to homosexuals has been in-depth enough to make what is essentially a socio-biological judgement and
  5. that the person one desires at all determines how one governs their behaviour
There is not a single thing in your post that isn't a presumption; with the majority of those presumptions relying on (dubious) anecdotal evidence and the remainder being entirely unquantified. While points 1 and 5 could be argued (though I disagree with them), you have not done so here.
Kami, you can always be relied upon to call people up on their double standards and assumptions in threads like these. Cheers :)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Ok, now everyone knows I love the gays. I am a fag hag of the highest order. Right Kami? lol

But I do think that sexuality has certain traits that transpose to people's personality. While I don't think all gay men are feminine, they are on the whole more campy, for want of a better word.

I mean, there are even subcultures within the gay community, which show their personality. For instance bears, and butches. (I know these words aren't generally PC, but then again I'm not generally PC.)

And of course you can't generalise. You can't generalise about anyone. I haven't met all the gays in the world. So what? I'm pointing out my observations.

I know many more gay men than women, so I can't really comment on any particular traits there, but I don't really see that it's offensive to point out parallels between sexual preference and personality traits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)