When are you deciding on which University? (1 Viewer)

Bored of Studies

Administrator
Administrator
When did or when are you going to decide which university you are going to?

• Did you know before you went into year 12?
  • Decide during your 12?
  • Or are you going to decide after you get you marks?

Leave your comments below and share with us where you got your info from and how you went about/would be making this choice.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
UNSW I knew from like year 9 when I wanted to do medicine plus the open day reaffirmed it - it's a great uni

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
When did or when are you going to decide which university you are going to?

• Did you know before you went into year 12?
  • Decide during your 12?
  • Or are you going to decide after you get you marks?

Leave your comments below and share with us where you got your info from and how you went about/would be making this choice.
I went to camps/conferences hosted by both USyd and UNSW (e.g. women in engineering camp, project management camp, b.inspiring technology conferences, Girls Programming Network, HS1917 course) and I already had a pretty good idea of which Uni since year 10. Oh, and I also became influenced by friends in older grades who are currently at UNSW!!!!

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I decided that I was going to do Physiotherapy in year 10.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Back in year 10 our school went on an open day trip to UTS. First time there and I was just amazed with how everything looked. I pretty much said to myself since then that I'd love to be in this uni, and here I am.

SumnerPlace

HSC
I knew I wanted to do Mining Engineering before I went to Year 12
But in Year 12 I feel like it might not be the best thing in the world
Now I am considering PR or HR
Will make a final call when I get my ATAR where I fit into.

blackbird_14

HSC
For me, I've always been interested in science, particularly the environmental sustainble side of it. However, I loathed physics (and still do). So that ruled out engineering. What major I really didn't know until year 12/1st sem Uni - chem, environmental studies, geography and biochem were all on the cards at some point.

I went to a lot of open days in year 10, and found Sydney to be a bit "dead" compared to UNSW more vibrant open day. I guess you could say the vibe was better at UNSW or something. Transport there was never an issue for me though, I think it's more important to consider if you like the campus and your degree over transport, which in the whole scheme of things, is a fairly minor issue, no matter how much Sydney people like to rub the "no 891 bus line for me" in our faces.

So that's how I ended up where I am now.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't like UNSW, and USYD was ok.
So I have ended up at UOW. Free buses, and only 20 minutes max to get to uni (because I live in town).

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
I really wanted to do space engineering/adv math at sydney but I didnt do as well in my finals as I hoped. However I got an early offer into combined actuarial studies at unsw which I would never accept due to personal reasons, but it definately made me consider actuarial studies. I ended up picking it at Macquarie since it had areas of interest I liked/could manage it without moving out of home and the reputation.

Buuuut, things happen for a reaosn. Uni is awsome defs doing the right degree. I would say plan ahead but stuff happens

Last edited:

calamebe

HSC
I like math, and I want to study math. Hence, I'll probably do the Dalyell Scholar's Advanced Science course at USYD and major in math, though I'll probably end up double majoring in physics as well. I also have space engo as my second preference, because that's awesome, but I think I'll go with the former option. I decided what I wanted to study in year 9/10, and from there it's just the specifics that have been updated one by one.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I really wanted to do space engineering/adv math at sydney but I didnt do as well in my finals as I hoped. However I got an early offer into combined actuarial studies at unsw which I would never accept due to personal reasons, but it definately made me consider actuarial studies. I ended up picking it at Macquarie since it had areas of interest I liked/could manage it without moving out of home and the reputation.

Buuuut, things happen for a reaosn. Uni is awsome defs doing the right degree. I would say plan ahead but stuff happens
How'd you get an early offer into actuary?

Dilara98

HSC
N/A
UNSW for sure. I knew since Year 8 that I wanted to go there. I live in Kensington and not only would it be convenient but I would be able to finally walk through the campus as a uni student rather than a little high school kid exploring the libraries and mistakenly being asked where certain law books were.

captainneuro

HSC
I like math, and I want to study math. Hence, I'll probably do the Dalyell Scholar's Advanced Science course at USYD and major in math, though I'll probably end up double majoring in physics as well. I also have space engo as my second preference, because that's awesome, but I think I'll go with the former option. I decided what I wanted to study in year 9/10, and from there it's just the specifics that have been updated one by one.
Is it possible to accelerate 3u and 4u in year 11?..

Last edited:

tazhossain99

HSC
Is it possible to accelerate 3u and 4u in year 11?..
yeh some schools offer a special program for really really gifted students e.g. in maths. They get to essentially 'accelerate' and finish their maths hsc's earlier than normal. I say some schools but i've only seen it at my school; i assume it applies to numerous others lol

DontCallMeYoshiko

HSC
I've wanted to study at UOW since year 8 and our school has an advantage when it comes to admissions due to our school being a "feeder" school.
I've always had a passion for digital media and advertising and am planning on doing Communications and Media, Majoring in Digital Media and Minoring in Geography.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)