when can you start applying for summer/winter internships? (1 Viewer)

baker182

HSC
synthesized said:
do you need HD's/D's to get an interview??
no, there is more to an applications, then marks

Last edited:

turtleface

HSC
So no point in applying early I guess? I saw one post by turtleface saying you should apply early?
not sure, it seems if you apply early you seem more keen. I dunno if they check when it comes in, but I think at the last minute is always risky, if you have technical problems, or if you forget to meet some requirements because you are rushing.

I think start it early, but not necessarily submit early.

I got into one last year and I got my application in about 30min before it closed, which was a bit risky, but worked in that case. Don't ever submit on last day in case your internet is screwed. I was being a dick and was lucky in my case.

also PwC seems to be the only big 4 firm that takes on double degree in 2nd and 3rd year ppl (i think Deloitte takes the latter too) from my experience

Also don't forget CA Achiever and CPA Passport programs

Raginsheep

HSC
I think he means early as in applying as a 1st year student.

turtleface

HSC
Raginsheep said:
I think he means early as in applying as a 1st year student.
I feel like a dork lol

That guide is pretty nice

Yeah 1st year is good to get a lot of work experience out of the way. I personally did 3, one at winter, 2 at summer.

The only danger is its hard to be energetic enuf to do well during the semester cause u pretty much miss holidays all year.

yeah at first year, CA Achiever, and CPA Passport are the two ones that come to mind. Getting into normal vacation is hard.

CA Achiever can lead to big 4 jobs so its really good. Getting a grad position guaranteed almost by the end of 1st year is always useful. its good pay too, about 18-26 bucks an hour depending on organisation.

CPA Passport is good too, but theres a catch - u have to pay 50 bucks admin fee to CPA australia, and you may not get paid, though i did. u can get into some good companies like bhp billiton, coke (the drink) etc.. plus with cpa passport, its almost guaranteed placement (Almost, only cause theres not much to do in the application process, and mine was shit anyway.)

Raginsheep

HSC
Are there options for 1st years in other diciplines besides accounting?

synthesized

HSC
N/A
turtleface said:
Also don't forget CA Achiever
i just found on their website that they only hire people with a credit average.

my average last semester was 59 P. (i had no accounting subjects though, i'm doing it for the first time this semester)

has anyone ever got into CA Acheiver with a pass average?

[edit] i just noticed on the application form that you need to list your work experience. i've already had 3 white collar work experiences with: 1) a commercial construction firm, working with project/construction managers; 2) a bank, where i worked with project managers, analysts and engineers in the information systems department; and 3) a defence and aerospace engineering company, although here i was only mainly in the internal IT support crew. all of these were 1 week in duration. in addition i currently have a casual job at coles in nightfill. <---- will these credentials make up for lack of grades or is it an ABSOLUTE necessity to have a credit average??

Last edited:

bakerb05

HSC
N/A
No - getting accounting vacation work is very, very easy. Your previous work experience will be useful, what is more helpful is that you display an outgoing personality, social skills, etc.

M@C D@DDY

HSC
I guess it is all out of your control until they call you up for an interview, and then, you could probably demonstrate your true crudentials. However for most of us, it is getting to the interview which is the hard part.

turtleface said:
not sure, it seems if you apply early you seem more keen. I dunno if they check when it comes in, but I think at the last minute is always risky, if you have technical problems, or if you forget to meet some requirements because you are rushing.

I think start it early, but not necessarily submit early.

I got into one last year and I got my application in about 30min before it closed, which was a bit risky, but worked in that case. Don't ever submit on last day in case your internet is screwed. I was being a dick and was lucky in my case.

also PwC seems to be the only big 4 firm that takes on double degree in 2nd and 3rd year ppl (i think Deloitte takes the latter too) from my experience

Also don't forget CA Achiever and CPA Passport programs
So if I am looking for vacation work in 'big4', and am in second year of a double degree, I should be applying specifically to PWC & Deloitte??

turtleface

HSC
So if I am looking for vacation work in 'big4', and am in second year of a double degree, I should be applying specifically to PWC & Deloitte??
only from my experience of the melbourne office of PwC. A friend of mine (who was 2nd yr Com/Law) got in last year to PwC melbourne. I know of numerous 3rd years getting into PwC. The thing is most of them didn't seem to get return offers (though I don't know this for sure).

I've heard 3rd years getting into deloitte melbourne too

Also, with the experiences, the thing with accounting firms nowdays is that they pretty much offer you to stay on if you're reasonable, but this is a bad thing or a good thing depending on what your future ambitions are. For instance, KPMG asks back more than 95% of its vacationers.

Also, I've never applied for vac work or grad ever, only CA Achiever so I don't know how hard it is to get in, nor what they look for.

Its strange, I've heard of high 60's people with 2 fails get in, but straight 80's people who are like vice presidents of student societies fail to get in (got screwed at interview, so maybe thats the reason)

Last edited:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
turtleface said:
Its strange, I've heard of high 60's people with 2 fails get in, but straight 80's people who are like vice presidents of student societies fail to get in (got screwed at interview, so maybe thats the reason)
Once you get that initial call back (pass the first round), they aren't concerned with your marks in my opinion. They want to see what kind of person you are, your communication skills, etc. Basically anything but your marks.

turtleface

HSC
Yeah must be the interview taht counts beyond the resume screening stage.

Other people I know generally associate the reason top mark people fail to get in with the fact that they went to a second tier uni or something.

Its still all a bit of a mystery to me.

Oh well, redruM you'll know the secrets behind it in about 5 years when you're a audit manager and doing the interviews.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
turtleface said:
Oh well, redruM you'll know the secrets behind it in about 5 years when you're a audit manager and doing the interviews.
5 years? Give me about 2 (Sleeping my way to the top) ;)

turtleface

HSC
I think theres actually more women in audit now than men (at the firm I was at, I'd say 55F-45M. Although there seems to be a lot of guys coming through uni accounting maybe 55M-45F (too much in my opinion)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)