when do we get our booklist? (1 Viewer)

HSC
as above! i know we're suppose to wait for the lecturers to tell us what books are essential but i'm o/seas at the moment, and the books are really cheap here!

drmix

HSC
N/A
u can find out from http://www.bookshop.unsw.edu.au/

"The Session 1 Textlists will be available online from mid-February"

otherwise u can look at last year's textbook...but better if u waited for ur lecturer to tell u...as textbooks vary year to year

HSC
hey thanks drmix! it also says this
There are several types of texts:
Prescribed - main text(s) used for this subject
Recommended - additional useful readings used in this subject

So generally would the lecturers just tell you to buy the "Prescribed" texts? How accurate is the website on whether it's prescribed or recommended? Thanks!

leski

HSC
i read some lecture schedules of last semester. it seems that we only need buy the prescribed text books. the recommended ones are only for additional readings.

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
Please, only buy books AFTER 1st week of lectures so you know which ones you need for tutorials/labs/exam, otherwise you will just waste money OR sell it next year in brand new condition.

HSC
gman03 said:
Please, only buy books AFTER 1st week of lectures so you know which ones you need for tutorials/labs/exam, otherwise you will just waste money OR sell it next year in brand new condition.
but if i wait for the 2007 booklist and buy the "prescribed" books, I should be pretty safe right? I really want to save money and I'm currently o/seas where the textbooks are half of the usual price!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
uberlovesounds said:
but if i wait for the 2007 booklist and buy the "prescribed" books, I should be pretty safe right?
As said before, not till you find out from your lecturer(s) which books you need.

elfm

HSC
just get it if it's really half price. that way if it's no use to you, you can still sell it for the price you paid and no one will know any better! :p

most prescribed books are fairly useless unless you know for sure that it'll be a book that the lecturers will be referring to constantly. it's hardly the case however...

don't always go by the lecturer's word either. go by your own opinion of whether you will use the books that you buy. most people use them as paper weights more often than not. there's generally not that much time to go through text books in uni unless you're one of those study orientated types that are already used to doing extra reading/extra questions in high school.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
If the books are course packs with readers/tutorials you're probably safe in buying them before lectures start. I've bought many actual textbooks which are still brand new as i've never touched them, even though they were 'prescribed'. Quite often you'll find even the prescribed ones are optional.

Raginsheep

HSC
No one is making you..... but don't be cheap, you don't have to pay for student unionism anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)