When do you reach the point of no return in accepting a job? (1 Viewer)

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
This is almost more of a legal question than an employment question...

I recently applied for a job where I had to do an online application, a 25 minute phone interview, a group interview, a face to face interview and then an information session. I also had to complete a police check and a lot of other paperwork. The contracts I have signed thus far are simply to show that I have supplied correct information - I have not yet committed to anything.

As part of this job, I had to get a medical which the company paid for. Leading up to this medical I was having second thoughts about the job due to location and the night shift work required, but I thought I'd go on and do it anyway. This morning I changed my mind about the job and called the medical clinic up to cancel. They told me it was too late and the company would be charged anyway. The company did tell me if I wanted to cancel I had to give both the clinic and them 24 hours notice, but I couldn't, I just made a last minute decision and decided the job is not for me.

Have I gone too far and am now in a legally 'awkward' position? The company has paid for a medical I never wanted, are they entitled to ask me to pay for it? I don't want to have any further involvement with this company.

I think because I have not yet agreed to take the job, I'm not entitled to pay for anything and can pull out, but am I wrong? Can they force me to pay?

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Yes, they can, due to the less-than-24-hour notice.
However, if you call them and explain, and sound apologetic etc, they might be like 'yeah dw about it'.

quik.

HSC
You wouldn't be liable for any costs as far as I know. I'm sure they've had similar happen before and it will happen again... tell them another opportunity has come along and thank them for their time, done.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Unless you have a signed contractual agreement specifying your obligation to pay should you cancel within the 24hour period

And that sounds suss by the medical company too, you can't bill for a service you didn't provide.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
idk, but wouldnt it have been easier to just do the medical, THEN leave the job

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Here's a thought, read the contract.

Unless we know whats in it, the best lawyer in the world can not tell you your legal position.
I did not receive a copy.

It's ok, they called me up and I explained it to them - they are not charging me :)

Thanks for the help guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)