When does sem 2 start? (1 Viewer)

dsam

HSC
Hey guys quick question;

I am going overseas next week but I am afraid I will miss a few days of uni. When will sem 2 start, particularly for the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences?

CHeers

dsam

HSC
Yes I've taken a look at that before I started this thread.
I know that I will not know until i enrol into my classes (which I have not done because of travelling overseas has not been scheduled yet) so that's why when do classes start for the general consensus of Social Science students.

Dates clearly indicate that 20 July is when classes first start depending on which course you are doing. But that is T1. What does Social sciences fall under? T1 or T2?

Thanks

Vylen

HSC
clearly, you didnt read it properly.. T2 is semester 2... there's no T1 in semester 2... cause T1 is semester 1.... the numbers sort of give it away...

now, as for whether or not you're in T2, T2A or T2B ... proceed to enrol and you'll see what you're actually enrolling into... chances are though, it'll be T2...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
vylen i meant it to be are*

the best way to check what classes you will miss is to go into your my.unsw after you have enrolled. check only week 1 for you class timetable and observe the classes you would have that week.

dsam

HSC
clearly, you didnt read it properly.. T2 is semester 2... there's no T1 in semester 2... cause T1 is semester 1.... the numbers sort of give it away...

now, as for whether or not you're in T2, T2A or T2B ... proceed to enrol and you'll see what you're actually enrolling into... chances are though, it'll be T2...
Yes that's what I meant.Sorry, last nigh I knew it was T2 but I wrote it this morning and I was in a rush.

Does anyone do an Arts degree that can confirm on this?

Cheers

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
it doesnt depend whether you are an arts student or not. it will be dependent on the courses you have chosen. so you will be better of selecting your courses first and then checking as aforementioned in my previous post.

i am an arts student. however, regardless of my enrolled courses, i should still check my timetable in the first week. and you should too.

dsam

HSC
hey thank you for the reply.

Ok I have a bigger issue now.

I want to major in Development studies and start this mid semester (teaching period 2) however one of the compulsory subjects are only available in T1. Does this mean I cannot major in this field?

Please tell me I am wrong :(

Vylen

HSC
yea, you're wrong.. you just do the subjects whenever they're available and if they're relevant...

dsam

HSC
Hey Vylen, thanks for your prompt reply.

I have taken a look at the handbook for Development Studies:

Development Studies - Undergraduate Programs

It states that I must do a compulsory subject (COMD2000) if I wish to undertake a major in this field. However, this subject is only in T1.

Or I think this is what you mean:

There are generally 8 subjects per year. I can take maybe 3 this semester then 5 the next?

If i am missing something, please help me understand.

Cheers

Last edited:

Vylen

HSC
yes... i mean the second interpretation...

the plans for programs on these websites serve as a general guide for students to complete their degree in the ideal amount of time. if you deviate from these suggestions, you'll either ender up finishing a bit early, or a bit later...

in the end, its up to you.

dsam

HSC
I see...

Well I guess the semester after this one looks to be a busy one!

THanks!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
omg dsam, please tell me that you are a troll...

no this does not mean that you have to take 3 in the second semester and 5 in the first semester of next year.

why dont you take a course from your plan for semester 1 2010 for semeter 2 2009 and then you will have 4 in each semester...

dsam

HSC
I am not a troll. Forgive me that I am completely clueless in the process.

What do you mean take course from Sem 1 2010? There are some classes that are unavailable for T2.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
well take a class that you CAN do and is listed as a subject that can be done in either semester 1 or 2 or just two.

if you need to do gen eds, then do a gen ed course.

dont do 3 courses just because this situation has occured

dsam

HSC
yes... i mean the second interpretation...

went to UNSW today and I it turns out that I cannot do 3 subjects per semesters and make it up for 5 the next.

In the end they've helped me sort out my course.

THanks for the help anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)