When is music considered good? (1 Viewer)

BronwynKate

HSC
My friend Talie would agree.

She writes for Zero Tolerance. Do you read that magazine.

I must listen to more metal one day.

What do you think a beginner should start with?

243_robbo

HSC
the first metal i started with was stuff like maiden, metallica (till i realiesed they were gay sellouts), megadeth, anthrax, sabbath, judas priest, dio.

dunno to srat off u cna listen to liek van halen or something then move on to liek something from above then go into like bodom or inflames or whatnot

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
goony said:
Music is good when you think it is

on an off topic, how is the con? I'm thinking of doing a double degree with engineering and arts (im doing engineering at the moment). Now do they have music studies or some kinda general music course as part of an arts degree (come to think of it, am i even allowed to do that? :p )
there are some music subjects available in the main campus, which is not as full on crazy like the con as part of an arts degree. Otherwise, there is a seperate music degree called b music studies, which is as broad as you may think it is, giving you room to do sound recording, electronic music, or whatever you feel, as long as you can play an instrument or write music - but you do need some sort of good musical background (ie you understand whats been written on the page and know chords)

hiphophooray123 said:
i would be interested in doing some units in musicology, just for general interest, do you do any of that UIC? That is, i do not want to learn about the technical side of music, like pitch, sound waves etc, but more the sociological impact of music. To my understand, that is what musicology is, does usyd offer any units in that?
i learn the technical side of it yes, but im not sure if theyre in the main campus' unit of music. I'll find out for you soon, but I understand what you want out of it. Shall get back to you.

243_robbo

HSC
btw stueiy give it up youve been on like 10 posts with your outspoken and poorly backed up arguments. As much as i agree with you, have some tact man.

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
shimmerz_777 said:
as ive also said im all for music being played through instruments and recordings, not cpu's and again, all i got was a massive shit fight because i provided examples

i guess by validating a claim with an example i just piss people off because they dont agree with me.
No, you piss people off cause your a retard. Your logic is flawed. Music isn't about who plays it, it's not a visual medium. (This part of the reason I dislike image within music, but it's part of life so I deal with) It's about how it sounds.

For me, music that is well writtern will sound like noone wrote it. It sound like it has always been and always will be.

Great music is the ability to touch me with insight, a truth that with holds nothing. Very few song have touched me like this.

Just for those who are interested in could touch an inept and repressed person.
Chino XL-Water
Chino XL-Sorry
Bliss and Eso-This is for you.
Frank Zappa-I am the slime.
Geoff Attcherson-Whipping Post (cover)

shimmerz_777 said:
Computer made music may sound good, but i dont like the idea that removes the elements which make a classic band. picture this:

you go to a concert to see fatboy slim. on the stage, there is a man standing infront of a turntable, bobbing up and down, tiwsting knobs and dials and doing eyerything by the computer. sure it may sound good, but it lacks stage dynamics, which is why they result on have dancers and what not onstage to divert your attention away. people go there to dance, not to listen to music.

a good rock band goes on stage, they have explosive power, run up and down, speed up and slow down songs, presenting them in ways which are unique, improvised solo's. they are the feature of the stage, they produce their music, and people go to see that.
Basically you don't like the idea that one person can entertain more people then you ever have (granted this is about 3... including your mum)

You think music is about visuals. That's okay. Take what you want from it. Your life. Just stop spouting shit (Everyone knows you don't know anything) You aren't a music elitested you're just musically ignorant

shimmerz_777 said:
I see alot more skill involved in mastering an instrument than a computer program. you may call me a music elist for this but it is honestly what i believe. if you dont agree than fine, i dont expect you too. just giving my reasons yet agian
You see nothing, shut up. Have you every tried to use computer based compostion programs? No. Didn't think so. That shit is hard. Very hard. Just forget the idea that it is easy.

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
BronwynKate said:

I'd start with Metallica, the first five albums.

Fear factory.

Slayer, God hates us all and Reign in Blood.

In flames. Any swedish metal it's all sort of the same

At the Gates

Alarum

Dimmu Borgir

Helloween, Manowar

Alchemist

Therion

Nile

Sepultura, Soulfly

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Oddy Nocki said:
No, you piss people off cause your a retard. Your logic is flawed. Music isn't about who plays it, it's not a visual medium. (This part of the reason I dislike image within music, but it's part of life so I deal with) It's about how it sounds.

For me, music that is well writtern will sound like noone wrote it. It sound like it has always been and always will be.

Great music is the ability to touch me with insight, a truth that with holds nothing. Very few song have touched me like this.

Just for those who are interested in could touch an inept and repressed person.
Chino XL-Water
Chino XL-Sorry
Bliss and Eso-This is for you.
Frank Zappa-I am the slime.
Geoff Attcherson-Whipping Post (cover)

Basically you don't like the idea that one person can entertain more people then you ever have (granted this is about 3... including your mum)

You think music is about visuals. That's okay. Take what you want from it. Your life. Just stop spouting shit (Everyone knows you don't know anything) You aren't a music elitested you're just musically ignorant

You see nothing, shut up. Have you every tried to use computer based compostion programs? No. Didn't think so. That shit is hard. Very hard. Just forget the idea that it is easy.
Amen. Quoted for truth.

Mr Lovepony

HSC
AsyLum said:

There is NOTHING wrong with making music from a computer...
I agree. I used to think it was all shit until I found extremely good stuff just recently. Won't give examples because we'll get into a massive shit fight.

doomprincess

HSC
N/A
shimmerz_777 said:
Computer made music may sound good, but i dont like the idea that removes the elements which make a classic band. picture this:

you go to a concert to see fatboy slim. on the stage, there is a man standing infront of a turntable, bobbing up and down, tiwsting knobs and dials and doing eyerything by the computer. sure it may sound good, but it lacks stage dynamics, which is why they result on have dancers and what not onstage to divert your attention away. people go there to dance, not to listen to music.

a good rock band goes on stage, they have explosive power, run up and down, speed up and slow down songs, presenting them in ways which are unique, improvised solo's. they are the feature of the stage, they produce their music, and people go to see that.

thats just one thing i dont like about it, plus i see alot more skill involved in mastering an instrument than a computer program. you may call me a music elist for this but it is honestly what i believe. if you dont agree than fine, i dont expect you too. just giving my reasons yet agian
I don't think anything can replace the energy of a live performance - but electronic music is a different artform. I take or leave it on it's merits as a composition.

doomprincess

HSC
N/A
BronwynKate said:

Hi Bronwyn.

In my opinion, a beginner should start with Led Zeppelin.

We should catch up for a coffee some day.

Cheers,
Talie

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Electronic music is fucking awesome if you find some. I too (when I was heaps younger) use to think it was probably just dance music.

Until you find those artists who actually use technology to stretch your perceptions of music and timbre (tone colour). I'm moving from classical to electronic music next semester at the Con. I'm that pumped for it.

Electronic music isn't about just a computer program. There is a lot of artistic merit to it. You record your music, you manipulate it in various ways... you make compositional decisions about everything and how to convey it all. You have absolutely no idea how much work is in it, at least, for something GOOD. And I mean like Aphex Twin or above, not "doof doof" electronic music.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Electronic music is fucking awesome if you find some. I too (when I was heaps younger) use to think it was probably just dance music.

Until you find those artists who actually use technology to stretch your perceptions of music and timbre (tone colour). I'm moving from classical to electronic music next semester at the Con. I'm that pumped for it.

Electronic music isn't about just a computer program. There is a lot of artistic merit to it. You record your music, you manipulate it in various ways... you make compositional decisions about everything and how to convey it all. You have absolutely no idea how much work is in it, at least, for something GOOD. And I mean like Aphex Twin or above, not "doof doof" electronic music.
Have you listened to Ulrich Schnauss' "A Strangely Isolated Place"?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
runtlocks said:
Can't say I've checked him out but I've had someone mention him to me a few times. I just went to the website. It's a really crisp sound he has... Hello new chillout music for my own personal use :) Drum and bass.... some nice really hawt electro-acoustic stuff.

I love that. Especially ones that blur the distinction, so that actual acoustic stuff blend so well with electronic stuff, you can't see where it starts or ends.

Ethereal 77 sounds widely familiar... Might have to get back to you on that one.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Despite it's electronic foundation, A Strangely Isolated Place is one of the warmest, most beautiful albums I've ever listened to. Absolutely perfect on the train ride, this time of the year.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Music is good when it is pleasing to the ears of the listener.

bored6

HSC
runtlocks said:
Fucking awesome, hes one of my favourite artists. If you guys enjoy that type of music - also check out Vibrasphere (particular songs like Landmark are good) who are currently one of the better experimental EDM acts going around.

And Boards of Canada are mad too. =O

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC
Pretty sure music is good if it gets a good review on Pitchfork.

k maybe not, as for electronica I think too many people just assume they know what the genre is, and go ahead throwing anything somewhat computer generated into it .. when you look at IDM it becomes evident theres a whole lot of depth to the music, as ur_inner_child pointed out, artists like Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Autechre ... even the newcomer "The Field" .. case in point, the Field, whenever playing live, mix every track on the spot, errors or no errors .. from what I hear Booka Shade did something similar in their live set etc..

HSC
music is good if it sounds good. i personally couldnt care less about the talent or skill of the performer, if i like how it sounds then i consider it good music. you can get into as many arguments as you like but its not going to change the fact that different people like different music for different reasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)