When is the best time to start Medentry? (1 Viewer)

Mudcake

HSC
Hey guys,

Thought it might be helpful for some perspective from someone who has used Medentry and got in the 95th percentile (im not trying to brag i mean as in it worked well for me).

Does it work- I like to think so, i agree that it tests your method of thinking so it is harder to prepare for BUT I started using it in march/april and i know for a fact i did far better by the end than at the start. It's really helpful in recognising patterns in the questions and how to tackle them. It is FAR HARDER than all sites make it out to be (the UMAT that is) and you feel far more prepared after a course like this. Another point is those who would probably do well in the UMAT are serious abotu medicine and are therefore more likely to use a program like medentry so they might be inclined to go well anyway. Basically, i know people try to say it doesnt help but it undoubtly helped me heaps and many others, it's funny seeing how much worse you would have gone if you hadnt done it by the end.

When to start- whenever you want id say but id reccomend around january-april...otherwise you dont get the full potential, i wish id started a little earlier so i wasnt rushing through some of the last exams...tehn again dont start on medentry 2 years early or anything because you'll use up ur practice exams too early (of course u can always use all the practice drills over and over)

Price- expensive, worth it if your serious and willing to put the time in (imo)

why it helps- you get unlimited drill runs on each section, practice exams, stats on u versus everyone else, percentiles, forums with everyone else (really helpful and keeps you motivated), really good interview guide...more stuff im forgetting now

I dont work for Medentry, i just remember searching for this sort of advice myself at the start of the year and want to try to pass it on :) If you want any more info etc feel free to PM me ^-^

Good luck!

getintomedicine

HSC
While I didn't do MedEntry, I did do a similar course (though that was 6 years ago). I think it's best not to start too far in advance. After all, much of the UMAT is being somewhat more difficult to prepare for. When I did it, section 3 was extremely easy to prepare for and while there is certainly some benefit in preparing for the exam overall, I don't think it deserves a whole year of preparation when you have other things to do (viz the HSC). I'd start thinking about UMAT prep no more than 3-4 months before the actual exam.

Likewise, interview preparation should be something you consider much closer to the time of your interview - not months in advance.

mmkardart

Med/Dent Interview Helper
HSC
N/A
Good question. I would say ... if you are plannng to join, why not do it sooner so you can reap what the course has to offer earlier? In the end you're still going to be forking the same few hundred dollars - find a couple of mates and go for the group discount.

There's a lot of debate as to whether these preparation courses help, but there's no risk (except loss of $) in trying I guess.

Good luck !

To the dude above selling UMAT papers - just becareful man. I think that stuff is copyright and they could file legal action against you :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)