When the proverbial hits the fan. (1 Viewer)

jay_buckley

Premium Member
HSC
All my life I've wanted to be an engineer.
For most of my life this had been attainable.

Unfortunately in 2009 I received a rather nasty head injury at school due to a student incorrectly stacking the RHS steel rack in the workshop. This injury has given me narcolepsy and post trauma migraines (I have since been able to manage) that caused me to lose ability to read /write /comprehend in class and debilitated me for weeks/months at a time during my preliminary course (2010). I have since been managing it and, thus far, I haven't had a day off school in my HSC course (2011).

I'm finding that the time off in Yr 11 greatly impacted my study this year as I am constantly playing catch up and thus falling behind the pack. I've always had the aptitude to do well; Until the accident I was a 90's+ student in all areas now I'm barely passing (although I actually know the content well, i am finding the yr 11 concepts and skills bring the speed of which I complete my papers to a halt).

I have always had it in my sights to study Engineering/ Architecture at USYD, now this is slipping.

I currently work for a civil engineering firm as a trainee, I've won engineering awards at state level, I'm part of the school leadership body and I've been designing and selling Ideas/ Patents for a while now. I have the prerequisite knowledge for the course I know I wont have the ATAR.

After talking to the Board of Studies director at school, he suggested a number of access schemes that are available; However, I am wondering if there are any other ways of proving merit to Universities?

I'm not after a sympathy vote here, I just want this so bad.

Cheers,

Jay.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
You might want to have a look into Pathways. It'll reduce youre workload. Also UNSW offers a diploma in science and technology(or something), that can get you entry into Engineering at UNSW. You'll also get Bonus Points through EAS, you need to apply towards the middle to end of the year.

FrozenSky

HSC
Well, it depends on what engineering you want to do.
If you already have an idea on what major you want to do in engineering it may reduce your atar requirement. E.g. The unpopular majors in engineering such as software designing is vacant even after second round offers @ UNSW (believe me a lot of engineering courses are still vacant after 2nd round offers). Those engineering courses are so desperate for candidates that they even take students with ~7ish atar below the cut off.
However, if you're aiming for civil engineering/ 1st yr flexible entry in engineering then the advice above wouldn't help. Even if you are aiming for Flexiible entry/civil engineering which is around 90 atar, you would still have a good chance imo.
First of all you can get up to 5 bonus points from your subjects, and another 5 from EAS (Make sure you apply for this, it is absolutely important for you), so all you need is a measly 81 atar to get into engineering.
And my final tip, make sure you put down USYD engineering - a majority of the people will go for unsw rather than usyd for engineering, as UNSW is known for engineering, therefore reducing your competition.

If all else fails, apply for engineering at a semi-reputable uni such as UTS then apply for transfers (there's april and annual transfers). UTS engineering only requires ~80 atar, and with bonus points you will probably only need 70 atar.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jay_buckley

Premium Member
HSC
You might want to have a look into Pathways. It'll reduce youre workload. Also UNSW offers a diploma in science and technology(or something), that can get you entry into Engineering at UNSW. You'll also get Bonus Points through EAS, you need to apply towards the middle to end of the year.
Cheers for that,
I've checked out pathways, however I've only got a semester to go so it will probably be better to just persevere and get it done.

I will check out UNSW and I have the EAS forms to lodge :)

Is it at all beneficial to meet with the heads of the engineering faculty or the "undergrad liaison officer" and see where that takes me? (I have a portfolio of projects etc..)

Or will that end up too much of a sop story?

jay_buckley

Premium Member
HSC
Well, it depends on what engineering you want to do.
If you already have an idea on what major you want to do in engineering it may reduce your atar requirement. E.g. The unpopular majors in engineering such as software designing is vacant even after second round offers @ UNSW (believe me a lot of engineering courses are still vacant after 2nd round offers). Those engineering courses are so desperate for candidates that they even take students with ~7ish atar below the cut off.
However, if you're aiming for civil engineering/ 1st yr flexible entry in engineering then the advice above wouldn't help. Even if you are aiming for Flexiible entry/civil engineering which is around 90 atar, you would still have a good chance imo.
First of all you can get up to 5 bonus points from your subjects, and another 5 from EAS (Make sure you apply for this, it is absolutely important for you), so all you need is a measly 81 atar to get into engineering.
And my final tip, make sure you put down USYD engineering - a majority of the people will go for unsw rather than usyd for engineering, as UNSW is known for engineering, therefore reducing your competition.

If all else fails, apply for engineering at a semi-reputable uni such as UTS then apply for transfers (there's april and annual transfers). UTS engineering only requires ~80 atar, and with bonus points you will probably only need 70 atar.

Good luck!
Thankyou for the response!
It has restored a little bit of faith :)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I'm happy to be accepted into any university.

I was simply asking for constructive feedback on how to prove merit aside from using your ATAR.
Write a letter - worked for me (don't think I needed it though.) I wrote my Sob story to ANU and they accepted me for everything but actuarial though got USyd and UNSW offers without the letter.

X

xeuyrawp

Write a letter - worked for me (don't think I needed it though.) I wrote my Sob story to ANU and they accepted me for everything but actuarial though got USyd and UNSW offers without the letter.
Yes - this can also work.

Point number 1 is not to give up. :) Try different avenues until you get where you want to get.

Kralex

HSC
Dude as if you didn't sue for compensation or some shit!

School is meant to make sure their students place shit correctly.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Its very unfortunate that you had to ahve that accident and I really hope you suceed. You seem like you deserve it and if I could give my place to you I would.

twistedrebel

HSC
writing letters to deans/associate deans of faculty will help! Because the cut off uni sets it self, it can allow people under the cut off in. So write letters and have talks with them

X

xeuyrawp

Dude as if you didn't sue for compensation or some shit!

School is meant to make sure their students place shit correctly.
I generally am not pro-litigation, but I really hope he is looking into this. The symptoms are pretty severe.

Kralex

HSC
I generally am not pro-litigation, but I really hope he is looking into this. The symptoms are pretty severe.
Yeah if it were something small like a broken arm or bruise you'd let it past but narcolepsy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)