when theres only 2 people.. (1 Viewer)

nita87

HSC
hiya.. ive looked thru the forum and cant find any help to solve my querie, so i hope someone would be able to help me with this

there are only two people in my extension history class. the other guy only beat me by a couple of marks, but he told me that even if i beat him in the exam, because he ranked 1st in assessment, he will get my higher mark.

is this true? there were only a couple of marks difference in assessment, i just hope that if he stuffs up i wont get his bad mark because i can 2nd!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
yes its true that you would get hsi mark and vice versa. i know it crap, but that is how it goes. that is why you never do a subject with only 2 people in it. or you could, but make sure that the other person if your mortal enemy :D

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
what!??!

I'm one out of TWO people in my music extension class.

She got 44/50

I got 43/50

ONE MARK...............

So if I got 49 as my final mark for music ext
And she got 45....

You mean I WILL GET THE 45?!?!?!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It's okay, settle down, there's no reason to freak out. :)

Remember that your HSC mark is the average of your moderated assessment mark and your examination mark.

Your examination mark is ALWAYS your own examination mark. This never changes.

In a class of two students, each of them will receive the other's examination mark as their moderated assessment mark. Only your assessment marks are influenced by your classmates.

Using ur_inner_child's example:

raw assessment marks
A: 44/50
B: 43/50

examination marks
A: 45/50
B: 49/50

We can determine:

moderated assessment marks
A: 49/50
B: 45/50

And finally:

HSC mark
A: (45 + 49)/2 = 47
B: (49 + 45)/2 = 47

So you see, everything is fair. :)

There's a special exception to this though - otherwise the student ranked second (i.e. last) could end up with an incredibly bad moderated assessment mark if the student ranked first bombs out.

So a 'minimum possible' assessment score is calculated. You can think of it like this:

minimum possible = (bottom raw assessment mark / top raw assessment mark) * top exam mark

Again, using the example above:

minimum possible = (43/44) * 49
minimum possible = 47.9

Note that 47.9 is greater than student B's moderated assessment mark of 45, so that lower mark of 45 is replaced with the higher mark of 47.9. Which means the following:

moderated assessment marks
A: 49/50
B: 47.9/50

And finally:

HSC mark
A: (45 + 49)/2 = 47
B: (49 + 47.9)/2 = 48.5

(NB: Figures only used for the purpose of illustrating the moderating concept.)

So you've got nothing to worry about! It's all fair. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)