When to start collecting experience? (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Repeditally I have come across the statement that the most important thing when your doing interviews is having experience.

At the moment I haven't worked a day in my life, should I be looking around for a job during uni/summer holidays or will that effect my marks too much?

Saying this, do internships only start during the penultimate year?

In b4 08er

danielvh

HSC
Mate, stop asking the same questions all the time.

For IB you need a decent amount of experience and an internship in the IB industry (or at least with a Big4 accounting firm or something like that.

So, to get that in the first place you need some experience. Get involved with a few university societies (at UWA I'd recommend Aiesec and maybe debating society) and try to get a treasurer/vice president etc position in one of them for second year. Also, sports would help (shows teamwork). And a reasonable part time job would also big a big plus. Volunteering is also a good option. If you're really keen, in your first summer go overseas and do some development work in Kenya/Cameroon or something.

This sort of stuff in addition to top grades is necessary for IB.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Any relevant experience is worthwhile.

If you don't have the balls to step into managing your time by combining work with study, then you're in for a big shock when you finish uni. Full-time uni with no commitments is a breeze.

Emphasis on marks isn't what it used to be.

EDIT: Actually, no offence but it woulld do you good to read around more before asking the same style questions you seem to ask. Its coming across to me as though you struggle to show initiative and need to be spoon fed.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
EDIT: Actually, no offence but it woulld do you good to read around more before asking the same style questions you seem to ask. Its coming across to me as though you struggle to show initiative and need to be spoon fed.
Thats fair enough,

This question popped up when I was reading a career book on the subject though :p

I'll try to keep quiet for awhile :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)