When's the best time to apply for a job?? (1 Viewer)

curiouscat98

HSC
N/A
Hello :)

I'm currently in high school and because I've pretty much finished all my extra-curriculars from last year I figured I may as well spend my extra after school and weekend time having a job. Also, I'm getting a car in February (provided I pass my Ps test lol) so this would mean that I could work even on the days that both my parents are working and unable to drive me. Soooo I basically had a few questions: :)

1. When is the best time to apply for a job? I'm hoping that there are actually people out there who only work for the December holidays and then quit once school starts, so I can apply in vacancies that open up soon.

2. Seeing as I've never had a job before (but have had work experience for a total of 3 weeks [yup, I know, impressive]) and am really diligent and organised and all the other yadeeda employers are (hopefully) looking for, what are the chances of me working anywhere other than fast food?

3. Are there any places that have no problem hiring someone with the above "qualifications" (or should I say lack of), like Kmart or somewhere? I live in the Hills area (NSW) if this helps, so places like specific Castle Towers stores are definitely open for suggestion.

Thank you! :)

EDIT:
4. Also, would having my own car, i.e. being able to drive myself to and from, and being able to work more days/often, improve my chances of getting a job? Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Thunderstorm

HSC
Hi there!

Okay, so firstly, make sure your resume is 100% up to date (make sure the work experience is in there and noticeable even if it isn't related to the field you're applying in). You might want to include the point about the car just so they know you're reliable in terms of transport. Then pretty much just apply where you can/want to work. A cool tip is to write a personalised cover letter (if you're not sure how to structure it just hit up google) to the employer or 'manager' regarding working in that particular business. It shows the employer you're keen and made an effort.

Try applying online at those big companies like McDonalds, Woolworths, Kmart etc. They have a tendency to hire young, unexperienced employees particular due to the cheap rates available. That's how my brother got his job getting an interview and so forth. However, personally, none of that worked for me, the first time I went in face-to-face, I got a job. Simples. Chances of you working somewhere other than fast food? High. One word; retail. Especially at this busy time of year you might land a casual position in the mall or something! I'm also sure other businesses would also be looking for staff not in any of the fields mentioned, just pursue your interests.

With regards to the 'best time' it really depends on the store. My Cafe generally hires people in the spring to train them for the busy summer crowds we get. Others are all year round. But most are to fill a vacancy which can be at any time at any store. Apologies that I've answered this not in order, just a tad scrambled but hopefully this post will be of some assistance. With a bit of luck, a polished resume and a clear interest in the business I'm sure you'll be hired soon enough. Just inquire about vacancies at a few places you're interested in :)

Best wishes in the job market, Thunder

photastic

HSC
Hi there!

Okay, so firstly, make sure your resume is 100% up to date (make sure the work experience is in there and noticeable even if it isn't related to the field you're applying in). You might want to include the point about the car just so they know you're reliable in terms of transport. Then pretty much just apply where you can/want to work. A cool tip is to write a personalised cover letter (if you're not sure how to structure it just hit up google) to the employer or 'manager' regarding working in that particular business. It shows the employer you're keen and made an effort.

Try applying online at those big companies like McDonalds, Woolworths, Kmart etc. They have a tendency to hire young, unexperienced employees particular due to the cheap rates available. That's how my brother got his job getting an interview and so forth. However, personally, none of that worked for me, the first time I went in face-to-face, I got a job. Simples. Chances of you working somewhere other than fast food? High. One word; retail. Especially at this busy time of year you might land a casual position in the mall or something! I'm also sure other businesses would also be looking for staff not in any of the fields mentioned, just pursue your interests.

With regards to the 'best time' it really depends on the store. My Cafe generally hires people in the spring to train them for the busy summer crowds we get. Others are all year round. But most are to fill a vacancy which can be at any time at any store. Apologies that I've answered this not in order, just a tad scrambled but hopefully this post will be of some assistance. With a bit of luck, a polished resume and a clear interest in the business I'm sure you'll be hired soon enough. Just inquire about vacancies at a few places you're interested in :)

Know anywhere that hires first timers. Everywhere I go the manager wants like 1-2 years experienced people:(

Thunderstorm

HSC
Know anywhere that hires first timers. Everywhere I go the manager wants like 1-2 years experienced people:(
Obviously you've got your main fast food chains and retail outlets. Gnerally smaller stores are also willing to hire first time employees depending on the store. Otherwise, my best suggestion is maybe a resume facelift is required? Little things that you may think are nothing at least show the employer you've done something similar to the job you'll be doing, giving you that advantage over fellow applicants. Things like 'running a food stall called 'xyz' at school fete' or alternatively add glitter to your achievements; 'chef at charity bbq...' may sound ridiculous but it works, anything to make the resume thicker hahaha. Volunteer work also helps.

Just put yourself in the employer's shoes to determine what's needed and what gives you that advantage over others.

curiouscat98

HSC
N/A
Hi there!

Woah this was incredibly helpful, and really detailed, thank you so much!! :D
I'll definitely take on board all of your advice - especially about an up-to-date resume and aiming for the bigger companies.

A million thanks,
CC. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)