Where am I going wrong... (1 Viewer)

Isomer

HSC
So basically I moved from a 300+ school to a 50+ school, and my math marks have gotten so bad, literally in the 60%-70% range whereas I used to get 99%+ in my previous school. The main reason for this is because I haven't been exposed to the more "exam-style" questions selective schools tend to have which are really hard

I have a private tutor (who is not from Australia) and they teach me the content by taking extracts from Cambridge, NSM, etc and towards an exam we do like 2-3 papers from THSC

My problem is that my marks haven't been getting any better, so I am really confused if I should stay or move tuitions?... Is it because I'm not doing enough preparation? Where am I going wrong?...

Last edited:

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Get a new tutor. Get someone to teach you who knows the inner workings of the NSW syllabus and exactly what kinds of questions can show up. You have to be honest with yourself tho. Are you putting in the effort to get a 99% or do you think following your old ways will just get you through?

Isomer

HSC
In that case could anyone recommend any good place for math advanced and math extension 1 tutoring?

Isomer

HSC
Are you putting in the effort to get a 99% or do you think following your old ways will just get you through?
Yeah you raise a fair point... do you have any advice on how to prepare for exams? Is there any particular textbook I should look at, or do I focus on past paper questions mainly or what should I do?

GoldenMelon

HSC
Yeah you raise a fair point... do you have any advice on how to prepare for exams? Is there any particular textbook I should look at, or do I focus on past paper questions mainly or what should I do?
I recommend focusing on past paper questions when it comes to exams. Do a variety of past paper questions especially from the schools that are ranked higher than yours. But you should do past paper questions only when you have throughly understood the content, which is what you get by doing textbook questions.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Kumon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ((NGO and Suns)^(Dr Du) x (Matrix)^(Art of Smart))Talent 100

Last edited:

nourished.

HSC
Cambridge + past papers + consistent practice = improved marks.

Don't be too harsh on yourself. Oddly enough, people have weird learning curves. Generally, it takes us more time than anticipated to get slightly better, but as soon as we get slightly better, we get a lot better. Sometimes, it might just be that you keep coming across questions you haven't seen before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)